Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Great Video Mullard Tube Manufacturing  (Read 8878 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Great Video Mullard Tube Manufacturing
« on: December 05, 2009, 08:30:20 PM »
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Great Video Mullard Tube Manufacturing
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 09:04:16 PM »
That's a fantastic film. It's got the same look as the old b&w films I used to see in elementary school (except that having grown up in Georgia, every school film started with a scratchy sounding couple of bars of "Dixie" with a confederate flag waving in the background,.. honestly!).

Really educational in both the way tubes are constructed and what it may have been like to work in a war time factory.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2009, 09:44:17 AM »
I wonder has anyone tried any of these yet?

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

mep

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2009, 10:02:03 AM »
Myles-Way cool film.  Have you stopped by Martin Logan yet?  ;-)

Mark

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2009, 12:46:20 PM »
Myles-Way cool film.  Have you stopped by Martin Logan yet?  ;-)

Mark

No why?

Myles
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

mep

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2009, 02:27:11 PM »
Myles-I see you forgot our little joke from ultrahighend forum. 

Mark

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 05:02:26 PM »
Myles-I see you forgot our little joke from ultrahighend forum. 

Mark
[/quote

Duh :)

Myles
Myles B. Astor

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2009, 11:08:21 PM »
Utterly fascinating in so many respects...thank you, Myles!

-Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2009, 09:11:57 AM »

-Sam

Yeah now that I look at it again, could swear see Tiger Woods in the background :)

Myles
Myles B. Astor

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 01:11:39 AM »

-Sam

Yeah now that I look at it again, could swear see Tiger Woods in the background :)

Myles

Hi, Myles,
I watched the entire video in one sitting and felt mesmerized...REALLY!  It was kind of trippy focusing on all of that magnificent machinery and wondering about the creative minds which conceived it.  I thought I spied Elin...and she was wielding more than tubes!
-Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 02:39:52 PM »

Hi, Myles,
I watched the entire video in one sitting and felt mesmerized...REALLY!  It was kind of trippy focusing on all of that magnificent machinery and wondering about the creative minds which conceived it.  I thought I spied Elin...and she was wielding more than tubes!
-Sam
[/quote]

Better yet, they're some pretty good tubes. I've been listening to a pair of Mullard 10M Master series 12ax7s in my cj phono stage and they're outstanding. Incredibly dynamic, musical and solid imaging. Better than the "new" Tele small logo 12ax7s tried-plus much quieter. (So far the best of lot has been some '60s vintage, double post, Siemens 12ax7s that combine the best of the two aforementioned tubes. Quieter than Teles, with far more sense of space than the Mullards. Solid bass and good extension.)

Am also trying some Mullard 10M Master series EF86s in the BH Repro. So far like them better than either the Tele EF86s or 806s. More midrange, bass and dynamics. The teles have perhaps a bit more air and detail.

Myles
Myles B. Astor

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 01:57:24 AM »
Currently,

I have BAT amplification and an AN DAC.  I'm given to understand the BATs aren't gear for tube rolling.  The DAC has limited possibilites.
Sam Lucero
SPQCV