TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Treasures found!  (Read 7000 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Treasures found!
« on: May 09, 2007, 10:14:49 PM »
Without going into the gorry details, suffice it to say that I found myself without a computer for the last few weeks. So, instead of visiting every audio forum on the web, displaying my lack of technical knowledge here, or searching for another Swedish reindeer dung charm on ebay, I decided it was high time to organize my tape collection. I was moving a stack of 7" 456 when I noticed a few tapes in shrink wrap. They turned out to be 7 unopened jazz tapes I'd bought about 3-4 years ago when I didn't really know much about buying r-r tapes. I got them from Audiophile America for $10 bucks each. They are; Gerry Mulligan and the Concert Jazz Band @ the Village Vanguard (Verve), Ray Brown, Cannonball Adderley w/the All Star Band (Verve), Oscar Peterson, Put on a happy face ( Verve), Miles Davis/Gil Evans Quiet Nights( Columbia), Miles and Monk at Newport (Columbia), Meet the Jazztet Art Farmer/Benny Golson(Bel Canto), and Little Band, Big Jazz Conte Candoli All Stars (Crown Records). None are Dolby! Most have zero print through! And the sound of most of them is fantastic! I would say that if you can get the Gerry Mulligan, do it! The imaging of the soloists is just outstanding and once the player stands up the location just sticks. For a live big band, the sound is just about perfect especially when a section plays in unison. Some of the fades are a bit clumsy but the detailing of audience and band incidentals is very natural. The Ray Brown tape has fantastic bass ( one would hope!) with lots of texture and impact when called for. Considering the fact that I've been out-bid by $100 on all of the well known jazz tapes on ebay the last few months, I feel like a kid on xmas morning!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline AZ_Gary

• View Profile
Re: Treasures found!
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 01:39:13 PM »
Hey, far too valuable to just leave lying around! Ship to me immediately and I'll store in the safety of my gun safe.

The price of r2r pre-recorded tapes has gone nuts. You are lucky. Have the Mulligan Village Vanguard and know what you mean.

Congratulations.

Gary
Gary Marklund
Sun City, AZ - USA

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Re: Treasures found!
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2007, 01:09:00 PM »
My Dear "Tape Project" Friend,

You are indeed blessed to have such a collection. I was around when Barclay Crocker was about to go out of business and sent out final listings of all of their tapes. I did not have to forsight to purchase many of them. Actually, I was not into tape that much back then. Barclay only wanted $25 for the most expensive of the lot at that time. Well anyway, you have many of my most treasured jazz artist and I am so happy for you sir.

As a business man and christian, I don't believe in luck. You were in the right place at the right time and, "YOU TOOK ACTION". Way to go my friend. Thank you for sharing this great information with us.

Bob Williams
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.