TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Nagra T Audio tech in US?  (Read 12337 times)

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
Nagra T Audio tech in US?
« on: December 07, 2009, 06:32:11 PM »
Nagra informed me that they are not supporting Nagra analog tape machines as of Jan. 2009.  Thus, all T Audio machines needing service would be shipped to Swiss...

Are there any third party Nagra service techs in US or Canada who can work on Nagra T Audio recorders?

Thanks,

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Re: Nagra T Audio tech in US?
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 01:38:49 PM »
There is ONLY one guy in the US that I'd let touch a Nagra T. 

He is on Long Island but of course I can't remember his name - will work on it and get back.  Maybe the second cocktail will do the trick - or the third.. Got a first name - BOB

He's been doing "T's" for so long (one of two "authorized" Nagra guys in then US) and was so meticulous that he could do things that even the factory forgot how to or couldn't do.  Has a special jig to set up the tape path correctly - remember him saying that there two versions - the latter a significant update to the tape path.  Throw out the electronics (sorry, that's Sherry talking) .

Haven't talked to him in 5? years - was "hurting", as no one needed Nagra service anymore.  Apparently the T's were used in most post-production film facilities and when he got them for service they were really "burnt out" from thousands of hours of use.

Charles

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 03:35:16 PM »
Great to know that there's hope for the longevity of Nagra T Audio machines.  Thanks Charles for taking that extra drink to trigger your memory.

It would be nice to know Bob's last name and possible contact information for the record.

There was a gentleman in UK that was also good with Nagra T Audio but I heard he had passed on recently unfortunately...
Ki Choi

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 03:45:58 PM »
In the Bay Area Dan Dugan has been the go-to guy for Nagra portables for many years. Perhaps he can help out with T-Audio service as well.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 04:12:45 PM »
thanks Doc for the info.  Do you have Dan Dugan's phone number and email address?
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 05:11:52 PM »
Here Dan Dugan's web site.

http://www.dandugan.com/

I've heard good things about these guys in Nashville too.

http://www.trewaudio.com/
I'll try and rustle up the threads over on GearSluz for the first hand reports that's needed.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 05:45:20 PM »
Hi Steve:

Thanks for your information.  I think it would help to add all valid service options for the current and future Nagra T Audio owners since the Nagra USA is no longer setup to support these machines.
Ki Choi

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2009, 12:01:10 AM »
Bob Craig is the guy on LI. He did over a Ti deck for a friend of mine and did great work. I don't have his contact info though.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 11:01:56 AM »
Hi Rich:

Thanks for the name.  I'll do the Google search on Bob and report.

I also tried two contacts Steve had suggested but came up empty...
Ki Choi

bobcraige

« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2009, 01:02:49 PM »
Hi,

I am Bob Craige and would be happy to service Nagra TA and all other Nagra products.  Indeed, I am both factory authorized and trained in Switzerland.  In fact, I am the only factory authorized service in the US for the Nagra T (includes TRVR, TI and TA) and the Nagra D-Nagra's two most advanced and complex tape machines ever.  I have been servicing these superb machines for decades as my exclusive business.

As to the statement that Nagra discontinued support for analog machines in January of 2009, this is simply false.  Some of the earlier machines are indeed out of support by the factory, but I will continue to support these machines as long as I am able to. 

It is important to note that all of these machines have large associated required tooling, fixtures and supporting equipment not to mention training, mandatory to properly service them. Again, I am the only facilitiy in the US with the requisite suite of these tools.  In fact, for the Nagra D, I am the only other facilitiy worldwide outside the factory in Switzerland.

Neither of the facilities mentioned in earlier links are fully trained nor properly equipped for the very demanding requirements of servicing the Nagra T faimily nor the Nagra D.

I can be contacted via email at  bobcraige (at) aol.com

I look forward to servicing your Nagra needs.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 01:29:52 PM by bobcraige »

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2009, 07:37:42 PM »
Hi Bob:

Welcome to the fourm and I am so glad to be wrong about the Nagra T Audio support in US.  It seem the Narga US has different agenda (or directions from the factory) regarding the service of analog tape machines.

Ki
Ki Choi