TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Please help identify unmarked recording  (Read 4522 times)

Offline ajmich

• View Profile
Please help identify unmarked recording
« on: December 18, 2009, 05:22:09 PM »
Hello from a group newbie... been poking around the posting here; lots of great info & input.  I'm going through the lifelong reel collection of a deceased friend.  Finally forcing myself to tackle the odds & ends boxes -- thankfully findings some goodies.  One 4TR Dolby -- with tones at end of side 1, beginning of side 2 -- does that point to Barclay-Crocker? -- seems to be the original 1975 Vanguard issue of "Christmas Eve at the Cathedral of St. John the Divine" (71212?), going by the track list and timings.  Sound is amazing -- have played twice and this stuff isn't even material I thought I'd enjoy.  I have B-C's #2 Catalogue c.1975, but this tape isn't listed. Scoured the web for clues but have none, other than an LP was issued in '75, the tape exists, and this 4-TR was supposedly used to create the current CD reissue... seems odd.  Anyway, can anyone ID the maker of this tape... and/or someone with later B-C catalogues might see if it's a B-C issue.

Still have many B-C tapes though have been forced to sell off a lot of reels (on eBay).  Glad to find this forum and hope to learn more about this lifelong favorite format.  Thanks!

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Please help identify unmarked recording
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2009, 09:49:00 PM »
Hi ajmich (btw we use our real names here),

Welcome to the forum.
The tape that you have, Christmas at St. Johns, is actually an Argo issue from 1974. I don't have that one and just got outbid on one the other day. It isn't one of the rare ones which had less than 200 sold so it's good to hear that it sound great (452 sold). I really love these tapes and still have over 60 to find and buy. I'd probably have them all by now but I'm a total cheap skate and refuse to pay the crazy prices they get sometimes.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ajmich

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2009, 10:21:36 PM »
Thanks, Steve... (BTW I'm Alex, and obviously unfamiliar with, erm, forum decorum).  Do you have the Argo cat# for my title?  Going to try to find an image of the tape.  Yeah, re number of tapes made/ sold -- I have a few of the low-quantity titles.  Got most of my B-C without breaking the bank, back in 2000 when I started eBay, looking for sellers who didn't know what they had, etc...  120 titles are down to 60 now. Many more from a gent who had dozens of B-C among several hundred others -- I got his entire collection to sell on commission of sorts (50/50) since he didn't want to be bothered.  Wish I could keep, but enjoying'em before they go.  Since I have to sell, I'm OK with those crazy prices, hah.  It IS a little nuts, but seems happenstance, at least on eBay (who is selling whatever at any given time and who sees it and wants it badly).  OK, so, what titles do you want most?  While you're thinking about that, I still have a heap of mystery tapes to ID.  This one was fun at least, thx again!  (And oh yeah: am I supposed to add a sig that lists my crappytronics?)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2009, 10:56:12 PM »
No need to list your gear unless you want to Alex. Most folks here just put their name in their 'signature' so it automatically shows up at the bottom of each of their posts.
The Argo number is "ARG E 782".

I'll pm you about the ones I'm having a tough time finding.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades