Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Technics 1500 VU Meter Lamps  (Read 6775 times)

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Technics 1500 VU Meter Lamps
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »
When I took my unit apart to work on a few issues I also investigated the burnt out VU meter lamp situation.  Each bulb looks like a very small (diameter) fuse with a lead coming out each end.  Both bulbs are connected in parallel and attach to a tap on the 12 volt (center tapped) power transformer winding.  I did NOT think to measure the AC voltage going to the bulbs but it will be LESS that 12V.  I unsoldered one side of the good bulb so both of mine are now dark.

MCM electronics sells bulbs which look like they will work just fine - in fact the catalog describes them as "level meter lamps".  They are available in 3 voltages 6.3V(AC)-Order #25-445, 8V-Order #25-450 and 12V-Order #25-455.  Each cost around 60 cents.  Absent measuring the actual voltage you could probably get by with the 8V units but I'd try the 12V ones - if they are bright enough, they will probably last much longer.

Charles 

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Technics 1500 VU Meter Lamps
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:46:13 AM »
I seem to remember someone replacing the VU bulbs with led's. I did have a pair of replacement bulbs for mine but I'll be damned if I can remember where I put them! I think the guy that used leds did that in an Otari. I figure any long lasting light would work as long as they fit.
From working on the Dolby units, I'm shocked at how long some of these little bulbs last! I think that out of all the units I've bought, only one bulb has died of natural causes (I've shorted out the power supply a couple of times and taken out any that were on). I figure that since these units were all rack mounted in a duplication facility or radio station and there's no power switch, they were probably almost never turned off.

Here's a good source for unusual bulbs (thanks Harold!).

http://www.bulbtronics.com/default.aspx
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades