Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Technics 1500 VU Meter Lamps  (Read 6762 times)

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Technics 1500 VU Meter Lamps
« on: December 17, 2009, 09:40:19 AM »
When I took my unit apart to work on a few issues I also investigated the burnt out VU meter lamp situation.  Each bulb looks like a very small (diameter) fuse with a lead coming out each end.  Both bulbs are connected in parallel and attach to a tap on the 12 volt (center tapped) power transformer winding.  I did NOT think to measure the AC voltage going to the bulbs but it will be LESS that 12V.  I unsoldered one side of the good bulb so both of mine are now dark.

MCM electronics sells bulbs which look like they will work just fine - in fact the catalog describes them as "level meter lamps".  They are available in 3 voltages 6.3V(AC)-Order #25-445, 8V-Order #25-450 and 12V-Order #25-455.  Each cost around 60 cents.  Absent measuring the actual voltage you could probably get by with the 8V units but I'd try the 12V ones - if they are bright enough, they will probably last much longer.

Charles 

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Technics 1500 VU Meter Lamps
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2009, 11:46:13 AM »
I seem to remember someone replacing the VU bulbs with led's. I did have a pair of replacement bulbs for mine but I'll be damned if I can remember where I put them! I think the guy that used leds did that in an Otari. I figure any long lasting light would work as long as they fit.
From working on the Dolby units, I'm shocked at how long some of these little bulbs last! I think that out of all the units I've bought, only one bulb has died of natural causes (I've shorted out the power supply a couple of times and taken out any that were on). I figure that since these units were all rack mounted in a duplication facility or radio station and there's no power switch, they were probably almost never turned off.

Here's a good source for unusual bulbs (thanks Harold!).

http://www.bulbtronics.com/default.aspx
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades