Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: TEAC X-2000R pinch roller problems  (Read 21761 times)

Offline dodgeaspen

• Conceptions Of Fate
    • View Profile
Re: TEAC X-2000R pinch roller problems
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2010, 11:24:37 AM »
I have learned from tech after tech telling us to use factory parts whenever possible. It really makes a difrence on the belts.

Offline soundbug1

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 04:36:35 PM »
First time poster and I really appreciate the professional help posted here. I was able to get my 2nd unit running well as a result but I have some VERY INTERESTING info about TEAC belts.

I ordered two pinchrollers and a belt from TEAC USA and installed them...unit STILL displayed the problem of tape play between the pinch rollers. When I compared the NEW belt to the old one, I discovered that the old one was 17.5 inches in diameter and the new was only 17 inches. The new belt would not allow the belt to switch positions on the capstan pulley wheels in the back. After cleaning up the old one and re-installing, the unit operated perfectly.

These belts are DIRECT from TEAC...

???

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 05:51:57 PM »
17 inches is the correct size for the new Teac capstan belt.  They have always been this size.  Your old belt has stretched, which is normal behavior.   I've never encountered any problems when using the original 17 inch belt, so there must be another defect causing the tape loop between capstans.
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline soundbug1

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 07:47:23 PM »
Well...perhaps I'm stretching the belt on my measuring card...because...

On my second deck...having the same problem, the belt sent to me by TEAC once again would not allow the unit to fast forward or rewind accurately nor would it switch position on the capstan pulleys.

I ended up digging out a new spare belt from overstock that was .5 inch bigger (by my measurements) and the deck now works perfectly.

Again...neither deck will work with TEAC supplied belts.

One deck having a particular problem I understand...not both. I dont doubt your expertise but I'm just saying that the decks here in my shop will not operate correctly with TEAC supplied belts but work perfectly with belts that are .5 inch bigger.

Offline bob31411

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2010, 01:40:25 PM »
Hi Tim,

Finally received my new TEAC belts. They were out of stock for some time. My tape loop problem still is present with new capstan belt installed. Will pursue a couple other suggestions to try to resolve.

Thanks. Bobby