Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: A Studer A810 playback head output mod  (Read 20433 times)

Offline audioblazers

• View Profile
Re: A Studer A810 playback head output mod
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 09:10:44 AM »
FYI Studer A810 for sales at ebay seller , royal-hifi. Starting bid GBP499. Nice looking
Happy Listening

Song Soon Onn

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2010, 07:35:01 AM »
Another way this has been done successfully is to put in two 1/4" phone jacks that have built-in contacts to switch head output to the plug when inserted, or connect to the electronics when withdrawn.  Eliminates a separate switch.

Charles

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2010, 11:00:25 AM »
Hi Charles:

Excellent suggestion.  I am a bit late to the party but have been thinking about the head output mod for all Studers.  It would have been great to discuss the experiments Doc B had been conducting when I saw him at the CES but as it normally goes at these shows, it didn't happen.  However, Doc did pointed out this thread for me to see what he has done so far.

One of my key concerns is, as with other tape decks, when one switches the head wiring on A810 (accidently...) with the deck's main power and the outboard tape preamps power on, will there be a surge or any current going through the repro head that will magnitize it?  The 4PDT toggle switch I had used would short before switching and didn't cause the problem but with your idea of using two 1/4" phono jacks, I am not so sure.

In an A820, there's enough room to mount a toggle switch near the pre-preamp input terminals but phono jacks would have to be mounted in the rear of the machine with factory I/O terminals.
Ki Choi

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2010, 06:51:41 PM »
It's a little crazy here today as we get ready to head out for CES. Maybe you can nudge me about it on Monday and we can get some pics posted then. Basically the switch is mounted to the headblock right above the capstan, on a bracket we fabricated from aluminum angles. The head wires come straight over to it and the shielded twisted pair cables to the output jacks are routed back through the hole that the head cables went through to the original preamp, and then up the front center of the deck right behind the front cover plate and over to the jack field at the top. The shields on the new cables are connected to the spring shields on the head cables - probably the most tricky aspect of the connection scheme.
Hey Dan,
Anytime you get to post some pic's that would be great!!! Just a friendly reminder!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2010, 07:28:06 AM »
What's the latest on this project? Dan still waiting to see some pic's!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.