TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Suggestions where to look for reel to reel machines for sale (besides ebay)?  (Read 8749 times)

Offline science

• View Profile
Hi everyone, new to the forum.

I've been itching for a while to get a reel to reel setup going again (sold my MX5050 ~5 years ago), and was wondering if anyone could suggest anywhere to look for machines?  I'm on most of the usual recording forums, etc... but it seems pretty rare for anything to pop up on those (besides gigantic 24 track machines or similar). 

Another 5050 would be a good possibility, and I actually found one that looks nice, but I have no idea what the current going rate is, either. 

Anyway... any help would be appreciated.

Offline audioblazers

• View Profile
Fr my past experience purchasing stuff fr eBay (500+ feedbk) and audiogon (20+ feedbk), I felt that it's more secure in audiogon. Recently I purchased a studer A810, I tried contacting sellers in eBay, I noticed that they are more evasion and not as transparent. How dealing with sellers in audiogon in particular members who are actively posting in audiogon generally it's pretty safe and the description of items more accurate. Another site u can try is at hi-fiadverts.co.uk. However this site is in UK and sellers mainly fr Uk.  Be careful of audioxsell unless u know the sellers or the sellers are selling in audiogon as well. I was cheated once on a turntable purchase.  Fortunately I insisted on paypal payment and got refunded. I informed administrator of audioxsell abt the con seller but no response despite sending email twice
Happy Listening

Song Soon Onn

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
You could try Craigslist also, that should mean a local sale and you could probably go and see it first!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Craigslist is alway a great place to start since you can usually go and look at a machine, run it through it's paces and even if you don't like the looks of it, you get to know some of the things to watch out for that don't show up in the pictures.

There are several other good places to check that don't have as many machines to choose from, but tend to have much more knowledgeable owners.
Buying any reel to reel should be done with a certain amount of patience. There are fantastic bargains to be had out there but, the more you learn, the less likely it'll be that you end up with a machine that'll take more work and money than it's worth.

http://messageboard.tapeop.com/
Forum for Tape Op magazine

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/
Pro audio forum with tons of stuff for sale among them a nice reel to reel from time to time.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline science

• View Profile
Thanks guys.

I've been looking on Craigslist for a while.  Haven't seen anything too interesting yet, but I'm sure something will pop up eventually.

I'm going this week to look at 3 Otari MX5050s a local computer surplus place has.  Hopefully one of them is in good shape, or there is one "good" unit to be had by combining good parts from 2 of them.  Seems like the place isn't exactly familiar with anything involving audio, let alone reel to reel decks, so we'll see what happens.  At least they offered to let me spend some time recording on them to figure out if they work ok.

I'll go take a look at audiogon.  Amazingly enough, I had never heard of it before.

I've been on gearslutz and tapeop for years.  Tapeop is a great forum.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 12:43:41 PM by science »

Offline audioblazers

• View Profile
Try hticsproaudio.com
Happy Listening

Song Soon Onn

Offline Satch

• View Profile
Hi Science,

Check out United Home Audio. I just got one of their Phase 1 Tascam BR-20 decks and I love it!

Also have 4 Tape Projects Tapes on the truck, "Out For Delivery" as I type, whohooo!

Thank you Eileen and Happy New Year to All...

Ray

Offline audioblazers

• View Profile
I thought I have posted this link :

hticsproaudio.com

If u dont see what u want ,send them a email about what u want. They will inform you when they have something similar.

Happy New Year
Happy Listening

Song Soon Onn

Offline tropicalcb

• View Profile

G'day ... I too have been looking for a 1/2 track  1/4" to use ... I'm familiar with the Revox/Studers to a certain extent & have had Teac domestic decks - which all seem to be opamp based. I'm wondering if the Otari Mx-5050 & Tascam 32-2 are opamp based or discrete transistors like the PR-99/B77.
Doing google searches or the tape forums etc doesn't seem to give that info.... the info on the tape project site gives a little info on the couple of decks that they recommend but basically dismisses the electronics without discussing what sort of electronics they have.
That would be a useful addition to assist in narrowing  down the options.
Any comments or directions to where info can be found about the rec/play electronics in the Otari & Tascam?

cheers ... cb

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: IC's or discrete?
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2010, 12:17:54 PM »
CB,

Both the Otari and Tascam machines have IC-opamp based electronics, for the most part. You see lots of individual FETs on the schematics, but those are just switches. And a couple of transistors occasionally for a low-noise input. But really they are opamp based designs.

Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline rbwtapeinterlink-Bob

• For The Love Of Music
    • View Profile
    • Power Telecommunication for business & the church!
Good afternoon Science,

I looked up the phone numbers to all of the local radio stations in my area. There were about 30 close enough for me to get to easily. I called each until I found one that had one Otari 5050, one Otari MTR-15 and one Sony APR-5003. I had to purchase the entire batch in order to make the sale.

So, you might try finding a good machine locally at one of the radio stations. Check it out. It can't hurt. Have a blessed day you and yours.

Bob
Bob W. (African American) VPI, Ref Standard Grado, Denon 103r, Threshold, DecWare tube pre and Classe pre amp, Jolida tube phono pre amp, (Peter Gunn) modified Magnapan 1.6, Tascam 32-2B & 42B tape decks, Parasound belt drive CD transport, Pacific Valve tube DAC, VPI  TT, various upscale cables.