Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Butterfly heads on Revox PR99: also replacing the erase head?  (Read 8110 times)

Offline traf

• View Profile
Butterfly heads on Revox PR99: also replacing the erase head?
« on: December 26, 2009, 03:50:16 AM »
Hello,
I replaced the original 2mm rec/repro heads with butterfly (0.75mm, these were produced by Studer for A67 but they told me I can used them on PR99). It seems I must replace also the erase head (with the full track type, for mono), according to the Studer head catalogue (occasionally I hear remains of undeleted material from 4tr tapes, seemingly between the 2 trks). Is that correct? Should I just replace or are there any adjustments of the erase function (I recall of a jumper somewhere, used to increase erasing power/voltage)?

Another issue that may be head related: When I biased for SM900, I could not use the 10kHz/-10dB overbias method as the peak was never surpassed (bias current at max and still no drop of recored signal). What could that be?

Thank you and happy holidays,
Tod

Offline traf

• View Profile
Re: Butterfly heads on Revox PR99: also replacing the erase head?
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2009, 04:01:00 AM »
One more issue: The repro test with reference tape is ok but when recording 12kHz, the L recorded signal is 2dB below the input level while the R recorded signal goes 2 dB above the input level. 100Hz/1kHz is flat. Heads are new.

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 08:41:13 PM »
Todor,

I have a couple of things to say in response to your questions, but first I must ask: Why are you going to all this trouble on a PR99? According to your other posts here and on the Studer list, you have at least one A80 and at least one A810. The PR99, while it's a nice home machine, and I know because I have one in my home, will never be the machine that an A80 or A810 is.

OK, you say "they" told you that the butterfly heads from the A67 can be used on your PR99. Who are "they?" And why didn't they give you enough information to do it successfully?

According to the Studer Head Catalog available from the MRL site, the basic specs of the heads are pretty close. So, maybe it will work. Or not. One of the things they (and any other manufacturer in the same position) did to make the machines hit the much lower price points was to skimp on the beefiness of the electronics. It may be that the PR99 electronics just don't have the current capability to drive those heads. But the first thing to do is not to give up, it's to try to make it work.

First, your erase problem: You must be erasing the wider track that your butterfly heads are using. That means either a full track head or a two track erase head that has the wider track. The part number for the wide track erase head from the B67 is 1.116.097. The part number for a PR99 full track erase head is 1.116.089.

If you are not able to get the bias to go beyond the peak, that means you are considerably underbiased, and operating where the distortion and modulation noise are both far from optimum. The first thing you should do is adjust the bias oscillator to the new heads. This is a tuning procedure where you adjust a couple of variable inductors to get the system to resonate with the heads.This allows the full current capacity of the bias oscillator to be delivered to the record head. The manual spells out the procedure well enough. You do have the manual, don't you? If not, immediately go to the Studer ftp site and download it. Studer have very generously put all the documentation for all the tape machines on that site, including the ReVoxes. It's a great resource and we should take advantage of it with gratitude. Search on this site...the directions to the ftp site have been published here several times. 

Actually you should do that when the final erase head is in the machine, since that's part of the circuit too.

If you can get the bias set correctly, then you can look at the record frequency response. It will almost certainly have changed from what you reported above. You have EQ adjustments on the record board, so with luck they will have enough range of adjustment to achieve flat response, within the machine's specifications.

It is important to do the various steps of an alignment in the correct order, since so many of them build upon earlier steps. If you just follow the steps in the order you find them in the ReVox manual, you'll be OK.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline traf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 07:33:33 AM »
Thank you for the detailed help. It was the Studer Germany who sold those butterfly heads (listed as heads for A67 on the Studer head catalogue), when I asked them for BTF heads to fit PR99. I also checked that the specs are similar to the specs of the original heads.

I fully agree that this was an overshoot project, never able to reach the A80/810 targets, but I just wanted to see what could be the limit on that PR99. I have the manual and will proceed as you advise (oscillator PCB, after new erase head). If someone confirms that the B67 erase head (that pairs the 2 bf heads) can fit the PR99 I will use it, on pictures it looks different/deeper and I wonder if it would fit the PR. The alternative is the PR99 mono erase head, but would there be an issue as it is mono, e.g. mixing the 2 channels of bias?

Yes, I have 2 A80 1/2 inch and 2 A810, and now look for a HS A80 1/4inch: all awaiting the mod (or rather restoration) i described in my other post.

Thank you again, this is a great forum,
Tod