Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Jacqui Naylor @Yoshi's  (Read 10951 times)

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
Re: Jacqui Naylor @Yoshi's
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2010, 09:14:31 PM »
Tables are fine with me also.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline Romo

• Michael Romanowski
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • tapeproject
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2010, 11:06:35 AM »
BTW...if you are having dinner at Yoshi's, they let you reserve your seat with out he extra charge.
I'll still grab a few tables though...
Managing Director
The Tape Project

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 11:56:02 AM »
Wow! is my main comment about last night's Jacqui Naylor concert. The woman can really sing, has great stage presence, and is backed by a terrific trio. I loved her comment about the "smash" of "Summertime" - "The Gershwin Brothers Meet the Allman Brothers", and the smash of "Surrey with the Fringe on Top" backed by "Breezin" really cracked me up. She is much more than the smashes, of course, and has a voice with a wide range of expression that can cover a wide range of material, from originals to other songs.

It was great to hang with Steve (Ironbut), Larry (Astrotoy) and Chuck (oops, sorry I don't remember the handle-Chuck from Pacifica) as well as Michael and Paul. I understand Alon from Magico sat with Paul - those are speakers I need to hear! I dutifully stood in line afterwards for her autograph, which I have on our tape project liner notes (along with those of Paul and Michael  - a  true classic!), and found that she really spent the time to converse with one - no diva attitude at all.

Larry, I have your autograph covered. Let's figure out how we get it back to you.

Dan/Michael/Paul - I for one would not mind at all another Jacqui Naylor tape in a future series - in fact, I would welcome it.

Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 12:29:25 PM »
Tom, I agree it was a wonderful concert. Hearing her in person gives an appreciation for the quality of the TP001 tape. You can also see her personality and the interaction of the other members of the trio. Art Khuu's student, 11 Matt Wong, was sensational in playing the keyboard's and electric guitar. I can see hearing great things from him - if I can still hear when he gets a little older. :-) Great to see the other fellows there. In addition to Alon from Magico was Tim Marutani who sat with Paul - Tim is a local consultant and dealer who works with Alon and was a major sponsor of last summer's Computer Audiophile Symposium in Berkeley. Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2010, 12:41:38 PM »
Yep, I had a great time listening to Jacqui and her band. There's some fantastic chemistry in that quartet. What a great sounding room that is too (I kept meaning to ask if Bob had anything to do with it?).
It was great seeing the guys again. We should get together for a little live music again sometime (maybe a meet up at Davies next time).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2010, 12:53:06 PM »
Matt is indeed an amazing kid. He came by the Chateau when the band was up here last year and just sat and played my guitar for about an hour and a half straight. His parents practically had to drag him away to head to a friend's house. A total natural talent, and a super sweet kid. His dad is a very good player as well. Before that I thought my guitar sounded like crap. Now I know that it's just me that sounds like crap trying to play it.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project