Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Technics RS15XX servicing-another Bay Area resource  (Read 5501 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Technics RS15XX servicing-another Bay Area resource
« on: January 02, 2010, 12:05:34 PM »
I didn't see it anywhere else, so I wanted to mention that Steve Koto, AKA Ironbut, is also a resource for the Technics RS15XX series - I had some issues with my RS1520 and Steve was able to get it back into tip top shape for me, quickly. When taking my deck to his house for work, I also had the pleasure of hanging with him for a bit and checking out his awesome gear, collection of Barclay Crocker tapes and jazz LP's. I have never heard a Barclay Crocker tape sound as good on any other system - between his Doc-modified RS1500, his Bottlehead Repro,the tube headphone amp and the Advent Dolby unit, it was a real Wow!
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Re: Technics RS15XX servicing-another Bay Area resource
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2010, 12:27:47 PM »
BTW, Steve (Ironbut) prefers to be contacted by PM if you have interest in utilizing his services.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2010, 12:36:06 PM »
Just a little correction.
The decoder wasn't an Advent (although I do have one hanging around here someplace), it was one of my heavily modified Dolby Labs units.

Thanks for the kind words and I enjoyed having another Tape Project member to share some of the craziness that goes on here.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 07:05:20 PM »
Steve has also worked on my Bottlehead modified RS1506, getting some of the bearing working smoothly as well as checking on allignment issues. He is a "reel" pro and very patient with the machines.  I am the proud possessor of his first custom Dolby decoder unit and it does wonders for my collection of Barclay-Crocker dolby B tapes.  As they say in the reviews - "Highly recommended."  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub