TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Ian and Sylvia/Northern Journey  (Read 4656 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Ian and Sylvia/Northern Journey
« on: January 02, 2010, 07:33:44 PM »
I've had a 4 track, acetate copy of this sitting around to be checked out for months.
Well, today was the day and when I took the plastic sleeve off the box I could see that the box was in perfect condition.
As it turns out, the tape is fantastic. Unusually quiet for acetate and this copy is perfect! The music may not be everybody's cup of tea, but man, the sonics are "reach out and touch" good.

I think that Classic Records or Speakers Corner reissued this on vinyl not that long ago and if the master they got was anything like this, I can see why.
Great songs like "Someday Soon" and "You Were on My Mind" both of which were written by the duo.
About the only things that detracts from the music is each vocal assigned to left or right channels (hard panned) and a heavy hand on the reverb which I find a little hokey but thankfully the instrumentals are well placed.

I gotta say that those guys at Vanguard had their s**t together. This tape takes the top shelf in my collection as far as popular music goes and the many Vanguard classical titles that were released by BC on reel tape are right on top too.
So if you're into 60's era folk, keep an eye out for this one.
Vanguard VTC 1695
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
Re: Ian and Sylvia/Northern Journey
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 11:51:12 AM »
I've had a 4 track, acetate copy of this sitting around to be checked out for months.
Well, today was the day and when I took the plastic sleeve off the box I could see that the box was in perfect condition.
As it turns out, the tape is fantastic. Unusually quiet for acetate and this copy is perfect! The music may not be everybody's cup of tea, but man, the sonics are "reach out and touch" good.

I think that Classic Records or Speakers Corner reissued this on vinyl not that long ago and if the master they got was anything like this, I can see why.
Great songs like "Someday Soon" and "You Were on My Mind" both of which were written by the duo.
About the only things that detracts from the music is each vocal assigned to left or right channels (hard panned) and a heavy hand on the reverb which I find a little hokey but thankfully the instrumentals are well placed.

I gotta say that those guys at Vanguard had their s**t together. This tape takes the top shelf in my collection as far as popular music goes and the many Vanguard classical titles that were released by BC on reel tape are right on top too.
So if you're into 60's era folk, keep an eye out for this one.
Vanguard VTC 1695

I am officially jealous! I love this sort of music and have the vinyl in an original and a re-issue. Personally I love the old L/C/R style stereo as long as there is enough going on in the mix to stabilize the image. Peter Paul and Mary were mixed this way too.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 06:31:03 PM by steveidosound »
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 04:55:27 PM »
Steve(s), you brought back some great memories. I first became an Ian and Sylvia fan back in the early - mid 60's and over the years bought all of their albums, including the first one they made with A&M after leaving Vanguard. At first I bought them in mono because they were a $1 cheaper than the stereos. Over the past 20 years, I have rebought all of them in stereo at various used record shops. I always thought that Ian Tyson had an Elvis like voice that was richer and better than Elvis. Sylvia's voice brought a new meaning to vibrato - like Maria Callas as she got older - but somehow blending and contrasting with Ian.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2010, 09:54:56 PM »
Well, the temptation was too great. Now I have Greatest Hits and Northern Journey on R2R
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...