TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Comments on comments  (Read 3698 times)

Offline TomR

• View Profile
Comments on comments
« on: January 02, 2010, 11:31:35 PM »
I really like some of the suggestions for Series 3 that I've read, and I would like to add a few comments:

1. Please do a real core orchestral work like Mahler's First.....OK, that was my idea, but I still believe a valid one.

2. I like the idea of big band jazz, although I am personally more familiar with small group jazz. One personal favorite is Duke Ellington Live at Newport - the "Interlude by Paul Gonsalves", as Duke put it, on the last cut simply has to be heard to be believed.

3. Dexter Gordon is a personal jazz hero of mine, right up there with Sonny Rollins. I'm OK with Art Pepper as well. Some of the fifties Louis Armstong stuff ought to be candidates as well. I prefer "Satch Plays Fats" to the W.C. Handy recording, and "Ella and Louis "would be a great alternative. Oscar Peterson was never better than he was with Ella and Louis .

4. Steely Dan was a great group, but IMHO their best work was the cinematic "Countdown to Ecstasy" - Aja is OK, but a little mundane relatively speaking. It has been done to death on high quality vinyl, too.

5. I mentioned Creedence Clearwater Revival to Michael - "Cosmos Factory" or "Willie and the Poor Boys" would be my own recommendations. CCR at their best. OK, as an alternative how about Fogerty's "Centerfield"?

6. I like the idea of guitar as well. Besides the jazz stuff, there could be Segovia or Julian Bream, or perhaps flamenco by someone like Sabicas.

Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's