Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: A noise reduction tip for tube preamps  (Read 6408 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
A noise reduction tip for tube preamps
« on: January 04, 2010, 08:28:09 PM »
We were fine tuning the Repros that we will have at CES, and I suggested that we use an old trick I learned from Buddha many years ago. Take a Q-tip and cut it in half. Chuck one half up in a Dremel (small mandrel) and use a little metal polish to polish the pins of your Repro or Eros tubes. You may not see a huge difference in the appearance of the pins, but you will probably see a fair amount of black tarnish on the Q tip. Then treat the tube pins and the sockets with a little Pro Gold. We heard a very worthwhile reduction of the noise floor doing this on two different Repros.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: A noise reduction tip for tube preamps
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 12:04:00 AM »
Wow, nice trick Doc.
That's gonna save me from buying a bunch of those felt, polishing "cones" for all kinds of stuff.
Thanks
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 09:22:16 AM »
We were fine tuning the Repros that we will have at CES, and I suggested that we use an old trick I learned from Buddha many years ago. Take a Q-tip and cut it in half. Chuck one half up in a Dremel (small mandrel) and use a little metal polish to polish the pins of your Repro or Eros tubes. You may not see a huge difference in the appearance of the pins, but you will probably see a fair amount of black tarnish on the Q tip. Then treat the tube pins and the sockets with a little Pro Gold. We heard a very worthwhile reduction of the noise floor doing this on two different Repros.
Will this little trick work on the Seduction as well?

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 10:27:21 AM »
The Seduction has less gain so it may not be as a striking a difference. But sure, it should help. IIRC the original discussion with Buddha was about doing this to a tube FM tuner, where it could have a very positive effect. Should be a useful for tube mics, phono preamps, and any other tube circuit that deals with very small signals.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 12:44:54 PM »
any other tube circuit that deals with very small signals

Should work on socket mounted step up transformers for MC cartridges too.

Now, if only you had posted this a week ago when I was in the US and could order the Pro Gold ;^)

Thanks
Xavier Cortes

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2010, 09:09:37 PM »

Doc:

I always clean the tube pins of all tubes-esp. all NOS types that really look bad.

I use a q-tip and dip it in Gorham silver polish (paste not the liquid; paste works far better). The pins are "polished" twice and then cleaned with water. I then clean the pins with Kontak.

Alternatively, one can do what an old friend of David Berning did years ago (he marketed this kit ten or more years ago). Take a pipe cleaner and bend it in an ellipse shape. Then dip it in polish and clean the tube pins. The clean and retreat with Kontak

Myles
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables