TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Stereophile Show Report #1?  (Read 9132 times)

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Stereophile Show Report #1?
« on: May 12, 2007, 01:24:25 PM »
Hi Gang,

Went to the Stereophile show yesterday (Friday).  1500 was not working in the Magico room but did get to hear the system in the TAD/Pioneer room.  Had the distinct pleasure to meet Paul S. there and talk with him afterwards.

Arrived around 10AM for what may have been the first tape demo.  Paul gave a nice overview of the hardware and software associated with the Tape Project.  On the (modified) 1500 was a "demo" tape consisting of selections from perhaps 5 of the first issues.  The TAD/Pioneer rep intermixed various CD formats with the tape and the Arnold Overture won "hands down" as the best music I heard at the show.  I'm buying that tape.  CD formats were way overblown and played WAY too loud - who are we trying to impress here?

When I left, around 7PM, Paul was trying to get the Magico deck working - hope you were successful.  Can't have enough reels - in fact I met one other casuality (like myself) who actually brought some tapes to play. 

Hats off to you gentleman/ladies? involved in the project - and very nice job on the preamp, Doc (need to illuminate those VU meters for that last little bit of pizzazz).  I'd say you all met your pretty high quality sound goal (gold) standards.

Let's see what Art Dudley says (if anything) about his "reel" experience in the TAD room.

Charles

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Stereophile Show Report #1?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2007, 01:32:15 PM »
Thanks for the kind words Charles! As I mention in another thread, Paul does indeed have the backup machine running in the Magico room today. Re the meters: they are illuminated when they are in the circuit. They are only needed for alignment and level trim, so they are switched out when music is playing. That way they won't adversely affect the loading of the output, and you can tell whether they are switched in or not by the illumination.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2007, 01:50:14 PM »
. Re the meters: they are illuminated when they are in the circuit. They are only needed for alignment and level trim, so they are switched out when music is playing. That way they won't adversely affect the loading of the output, and you can tell whether they are switched in or not by the illumination.
Perfect! That's what I like to hear.

Too bad for the folks that could only be there on Friday (regarding the Magico rm). I don't recall there ever being a Friday public day before. Hopefully, that will ease the crowds a bit. Saturdays were usually a real cattle-drive. One of the reasons I don't go to many any more.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2007, 02:01:51 PM »
Glad you like it, cause that's your preamp we're talking about...and the only one that will have built in meters.

One of the basic rules of audio shows is to go on Sunday. By then the bugs are out of the systems and if they are ever going to sound good that will be the day they sound best.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project