Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Technics RS1500U: Recording Level adjustment  (Read 11939 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Technics RS1500U: Recording Level adjustment
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 08:27:49 PM »
We are, aren't we? Oh, check that. You said retired, not retarded.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 11:08:22 AM »
Arnold-  If all of your older tapes have "gone bad", then when recording in the 2-track format you would occasionally have dropouts in the right channel as well (both channels are "edge tracks"). The dropout problem always stays in the left channel even when you switch tape brands.  Therefore, I don't think your older tapes are defective, especially the Maxells.......they are thinner than the backcoated RMGI and more susceptible to tape skewing forces. A thicker, back coated tape is more rigid and will buckle/deform less when played on a deck that has headblock skew. Try recording with the Maxell tape on your Otari.  My guess is that both channels will work fine.  I still believe your deck has a moderate tape-skewing defect (in the vicinity of the record head) and an irregular wear pattern on the record head (as a result of the skewing).  My guess is that your left channel record-dropout defect eventually will return, even when recording with new back-coated tapes.
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 12:20:24 PM »
Yes, Tim is right, the tape can certainly skew due to the path being out of whack, not just because a tape is edge curled or otherwise damaged. FWIW we don't see skewing too often in position 2 where the record head usually sits on a 1500. Position 4 can be a real booger sometimes. If it's skewing at pos 2 then the erase head in pos 1 might be misadjusted too.

Are the pinch rollers original or replacements? Some replacement rollers seem to cause some tracking issues. Look at the tape edge where it comes off the guide above the pinch roller, goes into the first roller, comes out of the second the roller, and goes over the guide above the second roller. Sometimes you can see a slight asymmetric curvature of the surface of the tape as it comes off those points and that may indicate problems around the headblock as well.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project