TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: The Tape Project at CES  (Read 4013 times)

Offline kipdent

• View Profile
The Tape Project at CES
« on: January 10, 2010, 05:17:40 PM »
Hello everyone--

I've just returned from the 2010 CES in Las Vegas. It was a very fun show with a plethora of high-end audio delights on tap. However, as objectively as I can say this, the BEST sound at the show was ALWAYS coming from Tape Project tapes! Even better, several suites were demonstrating them to great effect. I love the trend!

Sadly I didn't run into any other Forum members, though I know some were there, like MikeL. I did run into both DocB and Paul Stubblebine, though, and was able to thank them again personally for enabling us all to enjoy such wonderful sounding music. One of the most amazing experiences was listening to a 1/2-inch TP tape in the Magico loudspeaker suite. I'm sore afraid of this as a potential "upgrade" to our beloved format--I can't go there! Make it stop!  :-)  Nonetheless, the continued bliss of this format has made me decide to even buy a single tape from Series One (Waltz for Debbie).

I wrote a little review of my experiences over on the Apogee Speaker Forum where I'm a member. In that post there is a link to some pictures I took, too. Enjoy!

Kip

http://www.audioworld.com/sw/Forum1/HTML/007970.html
« Last Edit: January 10, 2010, 05:19:25 PM by kipdent »
Kip Peterson
Vintage-centric system with Apogee Acoustics Scintilla ribbon loudspeakers, Micro Seiki RX-5000 turntable and other odd bits of tube and solid state gear. Now a proud owner of a Studer A80 RC Mk II tape machine!

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: The Tape Project at CES
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2010, 07:04:11 PM »
Excellent report Kip!
That ATR sure looks minty. I'm sure it was a blast to listen to and getting someone to offer their services to you,.. well, you can't ask for a whole lot more than that.

I agree with your first statement, CES is quite a zoo! I haven't been there in a number of years but I'm glad to be able to say that I have been.

Thanks for sharing.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: The Tape Project at CES
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2010, 07:33:11 PM »
Thanks for the kind words, Kip. Paul and Romo are doing the heavy lifting tonight in getting the gear out and driving back to the studio, but PB, Eileen and I snuck out of Vegas this morning. It was great seeing you there, along with quite a few other subscribers. The 1/2" Otari/Repro was indeed doing a pretty darn nice job in the Magico room, and those Q5s are really amazing. I think two folks at the show told us to put them down for a some 1/2" albums after hearing what we brought. Sorry you didn't get to hear tape in the TAD room. Tape sounded mighty good in there too, on both the big R1s and the monitors. Alon Wolf and Andrew Jones are two amazingly sharp cats who are also a lot of fun to hang around with.

BTW - nice pics!
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project