TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Machines with tape head outputs  (Read 7788 times)

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
Machines with tape head outputs
« on: May 13, 2007, 06:44:41 AM »
I really don't want to take my Revox apart to bypass the electronics to wire directly from the heads, so I was wondering if anyone knows which modern high speed consumer 2 track machines were made with outputs directly from the heads. Ones that would probably had jumpers from the heads to the pre-amp section.

I am interested in finding out about any makes and models. Preferably made in the 70's or even possibly the 80's.

TIA, David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline beefman

• View Profile
Re: Machines with tape head outputs
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 08:16:23 AM »
The choice is going to be *very* limited and no consumer decks were made that way. You're looking for a deck that had an outboard preamp. Very few had totally separate preamps. Some had 'outboard' units built into the same case. The Technics RS-1800 was one that was totally separate (good luck finding one of course). Some of the Akai units appear to have 'attached' outboards (GX-600D I think?). The Tascam 42 appears to as well. These are preferable as you merely disconnect that preamp and route the wiring elsewhere. No major surgery required.

IMO what you're looking to do simply isn't difficult though. I have little electronics experience and did the bypass on a Studer A807. Just practice soldering on something noncritical so that you understand what you're doing. After that, it's simple. Four wires. A Technics RS-1500 is also a good deck for this as the headblock is separate and the work can be done without disassembly of the actual deck.
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 10:44:40 AM »
I used my rs1500 for months with the heads wired out of the headblock ( on the outside of the machine ) to my Seduction. About a month ago I did the "easy" mod ( replacing the stock female rca's) as Doc has detailed on the Bottlehead site (on the Seduction page) and was kicking myself for not doing it sooner ( it was a real pain to thread the tape and clean the heads around the wiring). The hardest part was drilling out the old pot metal rca's. If you were to do the "easiest" mod, you would only have a couple of wires to strip and solder.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 08:02:08 PM »
I have my eye out for a 1500, but I think this project has increased the selling price of them in a big way :-((

David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 08:20:09 PM »
I think the price has always varied quite a bit on them. The good ones have always gone for a good bit though. I got mine about 2 years ago and it was $750 then. Have you checked out the Yahoo reel to reel group? It's a mailing list group and you might ask about one there. I was about to when I stumbled on mine on ebay. Also, try a want to buy on audiogon.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline beefman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2007, 09:47:39 AM »
I'm on the Yahoo group... some useful info but almost entirely centered around more common machines (primarily Teacs and Pioneers) and repairing/refurbishing them. Again, while the RS1500 is a great deck, don't overlook the other good options out there. The Otari MX5050 is a rock solid machine and they're EVERYWHERE. Being a pro machine you'll see 'em in bad condition but IMO hard use is better than 'been sitting in the garage with rust/etc'.
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!