Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Series 3 suggestions  (Read 8645 times)

Offline analogmaster

• View Profile
Series 3 suggestions
« on: January 18, 2010, 05:38:11 AM »
OK, I am a new member and just ordered series 1 and 2 tapes.  I always admired my dad's reel to reels and I have always wanted a way to buy brand new ones so the Tape Project is a dream come true since I was 12.  That being said, I must say I do like classical and jazz but I find old school rock missing from the collection (except for The Band's Stage Fright).  Here are my suggestions (sorry if some are obvious and may be difficult to license, but it's my 2 cents worth):
Miles Davis:  Kind of Blue
Miles Davis:  Sketches of Spain
Dave Brubeck:  Time Out
Pink Floyd:  Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd:  The Wall
Led Zeppelin:  first album (to hear "Babe, I'm gonna leave you" on tape would blow my mind!)
Norah Jones:  Come away with me
Tori Amos:  Little Earthquakes
Patrica Barber:  Cafe Blue
Pearl Jam:  Vitalogy
R.E.M.:  Automatic for the people
Madeleine Peyroux:  Careless Love
Alanis Morissette:  Supposed former infatuation junkie

OK, what do you think?
Taj Madiwale
Magnepan 20.1s, Nola thunderbolt subs, Pass Labs X600.5s and XP25 phonostage, ARC Ref 3 pre and Ref 8 CD, VPI Ref Scoutmaster/10.5 arm/Dynavector XV1S cart, Tascam BR20 R2R with United Home Audio Phase 5 upgrade.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Series 3 suggestions
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2010, 12:37:03 PM »
Great suggestions analogmaster (btw we use our real names here on this forum, you can place it in your signature and it'll show up on all your posts),

Welcome to the forum.
One thing to keep in mind with the Tape Project releases, they must all be recorded and mastered on tape. I think that most of your selections covers that but there are a couple that I'm not sure about.
Another little suggestion is to do a search in this forum for particular albums and if there's a thread existing, you might want to add a post to it which will bring it to the top of the queue. This way, the powers that be will be able to see the demand for that particular release and members who've joined since the thread was originally posted will be able to add their voices to it too.
Keep um coming though!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Bruce B

• View Profile
    • Puget Sound Studios
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2010, 02:09:47 PM »
Miles Davis:  Kind of Blue
Miles Davis:  Sketches of Spain
Dave Brubeck:  Time Out
Pink Floyd:  Dark Side of the Moon
Pink Floyd:  The Wall
Led Zeppelin:  first album (to hear "Babe, I'm gonna leave you" on tape would blow my mind!)
Norah Jones:  Come away with me
Tori Amos:  Little Earthquakes
Patrica Barber:  Cafe Blue
Pearl Jam:  Vitalogy
R.E.M.:  Automatic for the people
Madeleine Peyroux:  Careless Love
Alanis Morissette:  Supposed former infatuation junkie

I've remastered a few of these titles and all of my friends have been chomping at the bit to get copies. Unfortunately I can't sell them, but with great ears and equipment, have proven it is possible to attain sonics above an beyond what is currently available.

Regards,
Puget Sound Studios
Mastering & Post Production
Seattle, WA

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2010, 03:39:26 PM »
Who's ears do you use?
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Bruce B

• View Profile
    • Puget Sound Studios
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »
Who's ears do you use?

Mine, mikel, Jonathan Tinn, Rich Brown, Ki Choi, Winston Ma...   I can provide more if needed.

Regards,

Puget Sound Studios
Seattle, WA

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2010, 04:26:44 PM »
I can provide more if needed.

Thanks, I think everyone here already has at least a couple of their own. I was hoping you might get my hint, but alas that seems not to be the case. It might be beneficial to take the higher road and resist the temptation to self promote everywhere you post. As a friend of mine said - "That looks kind of desperate."
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline Bruce B

• View Profile
    • Puget Sound Studios
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2010, 04:50:19 PM »
Thanks Dan...  your forum.

I'll take this off-line.

Regards,
Puget Sound Studios
Seattle, WA

Offline analogmaster

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2010, 06:35:18 PM »
Sorry all.  My name is Taj Madiwale and I have no affiliation in the recording business.  I'm just an enthusiast and new Tape Project subscriber.  Some other suggestions I have are

Cat Stevens:  Tea for the Tillerman
Bob Dylan:  Desire
Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris:  All the Roadrunning

I hope you guys consider a few of these.
Thanks
Taj Madiwale
Magnepan 20.1s, Nola thunderbolt subs, Pass Labs X600.5s and XP25 phonostage, ARC Ref 3 pre and Ref 8 CD, VPI Ref Scoutmaster/10.5 arm/Dynavector XV1S cart, Tascam BR20 R2R with United Home Audio Phase 5 upgrade.

Offline mittg

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2010, 07:37:50 PM »
I posted this under suggestions with multiple positive reply for Eva Cassidy: Eva Cassidy moves me. No one sings "Natural woman" like she does. She also does a beautiful rendition of "What a wonderful world"and "tall trees in Georgia". Unfortunately she passed away at a young age. Her parents have done a good job of getting her music out there. Maybe, just maybe they have the master recordings
"Live at Blues Alley" is a great recording and I believe her last
Gerry Mittica