Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: I have a suggestion, or perhaps more of a proposal  (Read 5470 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
I have a suggestion, or perhaps more of a proposal
« on: January 19, 2010, 04:04:41 PM »
We have recently been discussing the production of another recording of our own for TP. We have an artist in mind whom we will be meeting with later this month. This artist is well known for very high energy live performances, and in preliminary discussions we have found that we share a strong conviction that an audience always makes a performance better.

I have been rallying for some time for a recording session in a studio with a live audience in attendance. Picture cocktail tables along the walls of the tracking room, right in there with the artists and the microphones. I first saw this technique used for a one man show by Paul McCartney at Abbey Road's studio 2, aired on PBS' Great Performances several years ago. And I've since been an "audience" myself for one of the songs on the Jacqui Naylor album we recorded. You can say what you want about how real your audio system sounds - but this is the definitive "totally immersive experience" -  sitting in the tracking room sipping a cocktail while the magic is happening.

Naturally something like this would not be an inexpensive undertaking. Paul and I started scratching out numbers and figured that this would probably cost about 10X as much as we usually budget to license one of our albums made from an original master. So regular subscription rates are not going to cover the cost of production.

What I am wondering is if there would be subscribers and their friends interested in purchasing a ticket to sit in on one of the recording sessions, right in the tracking room. This could be a once in a lifetime chance for such an experience. I'm not yet sure what we would have to charge. It would depend to some extent upon how many three hour sessions we would schedule, how many folks we could comfortably fit into the tracking room and so on. Maybe a couple hundred per person? Maybe a bit more? I know this all depends upon the artist. I can't divulge the name of the person we are talking to at this very early point in our discussion, but I guess I can say that this person is quite well known as a musician and a producer (Grammy nominated), and they have an idea for an album that would make for a pretty mindblowing experience for the audience.

Any interest?
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: I have a suggestion, or perhaps more of a proposal
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2010, 04:13:47 PM »
What a killer idea!
While I have to admit to being on a squeaky-tight budget right now, with the right artist I don't see how I could pass this up.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2010, 05:39:15 PM »
While obviously I can't commit to be there being 3,000km far from SFO I can say that I'd be very interested in going and taking my wife with me. Doing it on a weekend (or close to it) would help a lot.

Paul has already brewed cofee for us at 1340 Mission so now is time for you to prepare the cocktails.
Xavier Cortes

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2010, 07:17:34 PM »
Gotta be in the SF Bay Area, but if it is.....I'm in. And I think I might be able to find a few other folks to join.

I think it could be an awesome experience.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 03:19:59 PM »
Well I guess with enough time to prepare for it, my wife and I or maybe just me could be lured into a once in a lifetime thrill!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline oneobgyn

• View Profile
    • Doctor's Rx
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 09:04:38 AM »
just a hop skip and a jump for me. I'm in.
There's ALWAYS another Steve Williams BUT there's only "oneobgyn"
Tape Project Charter Member #088
Link to my system  http://forum.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/fr.pl?vaslt&1049587927

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 11:42:12 AM »
I'd be interested - not a rap star, I hope.   Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub