Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Head adjustments  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Arnold_Layne

• View Profile
Head adjustments
« on: January 24, 2010, 03:57:30 PM »
I'm attempting to adjust the heads for proper record and playback alignment. I'm aware I need an alignment tape which I have on the way. I'll be using oscilator software to monitor the output for proper alignment.

On my 1500 deck, each head has three adjustment screws. I have marked each type of adjustment in a different color here in this image:

I know the the screws marked in black are adjustment for aligning the heads to avoid crosstalk. The Yellow and Red marked screws I'm curious about, I know one of them is for azimuth, but what does the other screw adjust, they both seem to affect the angle of the head.

A_L

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Head adjustments
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 05:22:29 PM »
Hi Arnold,

You need the proper alignment tape and 2 channels on your oscilloscope software to align your heads.

The adjustments you have marked in black are for head height, the red for tilt and the yellow is for azimuth.
For and explanation of each adjustment, see the the "Beginners Guide" located in a sticky above the General forum.

For test tapes and excellent info regarding what is accomplished for each adjustment, check out the MRL site;

http://home.comcast.net/~mrltapes/

BTW Unless you have a reason why you think your heads are not correctly adjusted, there's little reason that they've gone out of adjustment aside from head/guide wear. If this is the case, you should send your headblock to JFR Magnetics and get your heads relapped or replaced. The heads on the Technics aren't the longest wearing heads in the world and getting them relapped isn't too expensive. If you want to optimize your recording and playback, it's very important.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 05:28:38 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades