Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: 3M 986 tape  (Read 6320 times)

Offline johnnyrose

• View Profile
3M 986 tape
« on: January 25, 2010, 07:33:42 PM »
yeah I just bought a tascam 85-16 and have been searching for tape. The machine is calibrated for 456 but I found some 3M 986 and
have read that it is comparable to 456 and 499. Is this correct?

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: 3M 986 tape
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2010, 07:40:44 PM »
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline johnnyrose

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2010, 07:47:05 PM »
Thanks. Also after looking at the description it said it is on a reel, not a hub, yet in my tascam manual it says hub only. I am pretty new
to the tape world and am curious as to the difference.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2010, 08:52:41 PM »
Hi Johnny,

Welcome to the forum.
I'm a little confused by your last post.
I'm guessing that when you say "description" you're referring to something like an eBay listing?
If that's true, all 10.5" aluminum reels require an NAB hub adapter. The reels have a hole that's 3 inches in diameter. The reel hold downs on your machine are just 1/4" in diameter. That 1/4" hold down will work with most all plastic reels (7" in particular). To use almost all aluminum reels you need an 3" adapter which has a 1/4" hole in the center and somehow locks the reel onto the adapter.
I'm not familiar with the 85-16 but I'm assuming it's a 16 track and uses 1/2" or 1" tape. You should have a pair of adapters that came with the machine. If not, you'll need to find a pair. You can usually find a pair on eBay but it might take a little waiting. Be sure that they're for the tape width (1/2" or 1") that you need.
Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 08:54:27 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline johnnyrose

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 09:24:16 PM »
 Thanks for the reply. The 85-16 is 16 tracks on one inch tape. Yes the tape is on e-bay listed as 3M 986 1" tape. The description reads 2500' of
1" tape on 10" reel(not hub).  In my manual in the specs section they call for 10.5" max,NAB (large) hub only.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2010, 10:38:54 PM »
The only thing you need to be careful of is a thing called sticky shed syndrome. Many 3M and Ampex tapes of that era had that problem. There's no way for you or the seller to know if this particular batch of tape has it without using it so don't buy more than one or you could end up paying for just the reels and boxes since the tape would be ruined.
Sticky shed is hydrolysis of the binder that holds the oxide onto the backing and it turns into a tarry substance that will squeal like crazy and can even stop a machine dead in it's tracks.
Ampex 456 was the most famous tape with this problem and unfortunately the problems very often don't rear their ugly heads for a while.
If you'd like to learn more about sticky shed, there are several threads devoted to the subject here and also in the "Beginners Guide" located in a sticky above the General forum.

If you plan on doing serious recording (for money etc) I wouldn't take the chance with old tape stock. You never know how it's been stored (for instance, heat can ruin tape). I realize that 1" tape can be pretty expensive but there are 2 excellent tape manufacturers, ATR Magnetics and RMGI.
You can buy either at US Recording Media.

http://usrecordingmedia-store.stores.yahoo.net/

You'd probably be happy with RMGI 468 with your current machine settings.

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades