TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: CES Report for R2R Enthusiasts :)  (Read 11009 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: CES Report for R2R Enthusiasts :)
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2010, 08:51:24 PM »
Another great article Myles.

I hope the after-parties didn't keep the wildlife awake!
I'm always happy to see more and more exhibitors at shows using reel to reel for a source. There's nothing worse than going to listen to a particular speaker or amp and see that they've got the "flavor of the month" cd player for their only source.
The picture of that Garrard 301 sure looked nice. I've seen a lot of them where the plinth design has absolutely no design similarities to the table itself and it always looks kinda wacky to me. It's one thing if you put it together yourself, but if you have to pay the "real" bucks to have someone else do it, there should be some aesthetic appeal. I'm pretty sure MikeL has one of those.

It sounds like you had a good time too,.. big bonus!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2010, 09:27:50 PM »

The picture of that Garrard 301 sure looked nice. I've seen a lot of them where the plinth design has absolutely no design similarities to the table itself and it always looks kinda wacky to me. It's one thing if you put it together yourself, but if you have to pay the "real" bucks to have someone else do it, there should be some aesthetic appeal. I'm pretty sure MikeL has one of those.

ya mean like this...

nice write-up Miles. btw, those same 'super-size' ($135k the pair) darTZeel monoblock NHB-458's are now (temporarily) in my room. they are the real deal and i would challenge any tube lover to not be persuaded by these beauties. they transcend categorizing. i listened to TP-011 thru these.......not to be missed!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 09:29:27 PM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2010, 09:40:30 PM »
  This replaced your Rockport, or is it just in for demo?

Tj
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2010, 09:44:28 PM »
Ya just gotta have both!
I mean, the turntables not the Studer 820 and the ATR102!

That is a beauty Mike!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2010, 09:51:43 PM »
Paul and I listened a bit to the Dartzeels and the Evolutions at The Show. I thought it was the only room we listened to at The Show that really had a groove on. Most everything else we heard over there (not all the rooms) was "where's the bass?" On the contrary there was plenty of bass at the Venetian, in fact there were some bass wars going on between rooms at the V.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 08:06:58 AM »
  This replaced your Rockport, or is it just in for demo?

Tj

i've had three tt's for a few years. some visitors prefer the Steve Dobbins' plinth'd Garrard 301 to the Rockport. the Garrard has an added energy and pulse that is addictive.

it's fun having three tt's and great to always have references on hand when tweaking.

Mike Lavigne

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2010, 08:19:23 AM »
Paul and I listened a bit to the Dartzeels and the Evolutions at The Show. I thought it was the only room we listened to at The Show that really had a groove on. Most everything else we heard over there (not all the rooms) was "where's the bass?" On the contrary there was plenty of bass at the Venetian, in fact there were some bass wars going on between rooms at the V.

Doc,

if you liked that sound, imagine it in my much bigger room with RTR as a source. Paul was here a few years ago; and frankly my room had been considerably overdamped. it also had a structural imbalance which caused a low frequency suckout on one side. in the last 30 days i've removed the very large front bass traps and used a specialized product to solidify and equalize my low frequency room boundaries. it's made a huge difference....like having a new room.

"where's the bass?"......right the hell here!!!

anyway i hope that this year you can visit my room for a listen when you find the time.

Mike Lavigne

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2010, 11:45:01 AM »
Miles, thanks for the great report. We don't normally see this kind of reporting and emphasis in the slick mags.   Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2010, 12:33:33 PM »

ya mean like this...

Or like this?
Xavier Cortes