TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Look Ma, Top of the world!  (Read 4094 times)

Offline blaupunk

• View Profile
Look Ma, Top of the world!
« on: February 11, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »
No, this is not a suggestion for tunes from Jimmy Cagney movies.
For many of the TTP subscribers and I suspect for the TTP owners as well, one of the highest honors a musical work can achieve in consumer circles is to become a TTP title.  Oops, I forgot the Grammys!
Unfortunately partly driven by acquisition costs, as well as the apparent need for familiarity most of the title suggestions (including my own) are for relatively household names in music as well as well known works.
It figures.
Unfortunately this deprives us of the opportunity to hear music of merit (content and production values) because the artist/work is below the radar.
Gosh I dislike that cliche.
I was recently reading John Mark's column in Stereophile and I found myself thinking that he was just the kind of person I was thinking of.
John produced recordings under the name of JMR.  The material was mainly classical, small ensemble, drop dead gorgeous in sound and execution.
Unless I am mistaken, his production was all analog recorded on tape.
John has mentioned with a nod to excellence TTP in his column from time to time.
One of his titles is being given the audio reissue treatment on CD and is available from Sterophile's shameless commerce division(with a nod to Click and Clack of 'Car Talk' on NPR radio).
That is what got me to thinking, why not on TTP? 

His entire catalog would be worthy and especially well disposed for TTP treatment except for the missing 'ooh aah' factor which seems to be a necessary component for commercial/subscription success.

With perhaps the exception of the Staple Singers title, most of the  TTP chestnuts chosen for release have been pretty 'safe'.

If the subscribers would permit, perhaps the owners could cast a wider net for worthy material especially for those titles which combine musicality with an audiophile sensitivity to production values in the analog realm.

That's my two cents.

Charles Vonderheid

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Look Ma, Top of the world!
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2010, 11:33:11 PM »
If the subscribers would permit, perhaps the owners could cast a wider net for worthy material especially for those titles which combine musicality with an audiophile sensitivity to production values in the analog realm.

And so we created the suggestion box. Folks can offer their ideas of what would be a good album to put out there. If there is some consensus that develops in a thread there and if it is a title that can be licensed it has a good chance of being included in a future series.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project