TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Barclay-Crocker tape catalog?  (Read 31093 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Barclay-Crocker tape catalog?
« on: January 16, 2007, 11:24:32 AM »
Does anyone out there know where I can download a copy of a relatively complete listing of the tapes they released. I've got about 80 now and I'm still seeing more that I don't have than have. Also a listing of the Mercury releases would be cool.
Thanks in advance
Steve Koto
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: Barclay-Crocker tape catalog?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2007, 12:33:22 PM »
The owners are still around. They now own an online bath and shaving supply and I believe one of them is a high end real estate broker. Maybe they would have a complete list?
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2007, 02:57:20 PM »
I have a catalog and a catalog for Direct to Tape recordings (from New Jersey as I recall) - someone want to copy it?

Charles

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2007, 01:04:44 AM »
I have a catalog and a catalog for Direct to Tape recordings (from New Jersey as I recall) - someone want to copy it?
You bet! If you can't post it, I'd be happy to cover any shipping and get it back to you safe and sound. BTW, I checked out your 1/2 track listing on the Yahoo forum. Holy Cow! You don't have all those do you? I think I saw that the first was in 1954. And they were produced till around 1960 right? I never would have believed that there were so many RCA's in 1/2 track. I've tried looking up listings like that at the Library of Congress but it's difficult unless you can go there. What kind of resources did you use?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Danny Kaey

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2007, 09:33:36 PM »
The owners are still around. They now own an online bath and shaving supply and I believe one of them is a high end real estate broker. Maybe they would have a complete list?

Hi Doc!

:)

hrmm... I thought I heard one of the guys passed away recently... there's a lady on eBay "reellady" she often offers people BC catalogs...
SonicFlare
www.sonicflare.com

US Editor | The Inner Ear
www.innerearmag.com

Senior Assistant Editor | Positive-Feedback Online
www.positive-feedback.com

Offline scully280

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2007, 10:28:02 PM »
Actually when Barclay-Crocker decided to go out of business they sent around a short catalog that summarized all their titles and the number shipped.  Of course I didn't keep it because, well, they were out of business and there were'nt going to be any more tapes old or new.  There's a used record dealer who dabbles in (actually seels quite a bit of) reel tape and he puts the number made from that last catalog in his listings of B-C tapes, so at least one person has kept their copy.
Richard Lane
Scully280

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2007, 11:30:22 PM »
Thanks guys. I got a copy of catalog #7 Dec.'81 and have a copy of that last listing on it's way also. Your moniker reminded me that when I first moved to Silicon Valley, Scully  was one of the first companies I applied for a job. I used to love driving by the big Ampex sign on the way to San Fran. too. I have a few used tapes from the Ampex employee tape library. Hmm,.. I just looked at one( Jimmy Smith w/Kenny Burrell and Grady Tate) and it actually has a library card in it. 10 names. Last check out 12/27/71. In the bottom of the box is a mimiographed ( remember those awful things, green paper and blue printing) sheet on tape use. #8 states" All tapes will be inspected upon return, and you will be held responsible for erased, damaged, or dubbed tapes. Charges not to exceed employee net price may be levied." Sounds like Ampex bought their employees?
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2007, 09:06:01 AM »
Jimmy Smith with Kenny Burrell? Paul's gonna want to hear that one!
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2007, 09:03:36 PM »
Jimmy Smith with Kenny Burrell? Paul's gonna want to hear that one!

It's called " Organ Grinder Swing" on Verve. My tape isn't in very good condition but, I don't have it on vinyl or cd/sacd and the Ampex Employee Tape Library thing is pretty cool. It's engineered by Van Gelder ,recorded @ Englewood Cliffs June 14-15 1965. Just those three,.. organ, guitar, and drums.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Studer Fool

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2007, 08:11:08 AM »
Thanks guys. I got a copy of catalog #7 Dec.'81 and have a copy of that last listing on it's way also.

Any chance you might post a scan of these copies? 

I have a number of BC tapes I bought decades ago, mostly after BC moved to Poughkeepsie, NY where I worked as a young engineer for IBM.  When I saw they where in town I'd call & go over to their lab periodically and buy a bunch of tapes.  It hurts me to admit I don't remember his name, but one of the principle owners always met me and would help guide me in my selections.  It was a fabulous way for a young guy new to classical to be guided into the classical music world!  Though I now realize, you could hardly go wrong with any BC selection as they had so nicely cherry picked their catalog.  I deeply appreciate that guidance to this day.  Plus I got to see their high speed dupe lab with all the slaved Ampex's, and the paste line they used to create the boxes (he seemed particularly proud of that).  Wish I had photos!

Thanks!
Chris
Christopher D. Wait
Charter Subscriber SN# 026
Studer A80-VU & Studer A80-RC (and Doc's lovingly modified Ampex 934 with Seduction Tape Head Preamp Combo!)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2007, 09:20:33 AM »
Sorry, don't have a scanner. However, the last time I made a copy I ran off a few. Just PM me your shipping address and I'll shoot on off to you this week. Interesting about Poughkeepsie though. I couldn't remember why that town kept ringing in my ears till I saw your post. An old friend of mine, Jack Steitz, used to work at IBM there also till he moved out here ( silicon valley ) to work at one of their think tanks.
I'd love to hear more details about BC's facilities there. How big an operation was it? How many tapes could be made at a time? What kind of recommendations did they make? etc.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline MrUggs

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2008, 07:50:21 AM »
Greetings all,
Kevin here in SF. Here is a link to a comprehensive database that I upload to and check for B-C tapes.
http://www.dantiques.com/openreeltapes/index.mv

Ciaofornow.
Kevin
a.k.a. MrUggs

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2008, 02:07:09 PM »
I notice there is a lot of missing data in this catalog, although it is still very useful. There are many "artist unknowns" - the Horenstein Mahler recordings licensed from Unicorn, for example, are listed as "artist unknown". Clearly there is an opportunity for some BC lover with lots of spare time to clean this up and publish a comprehensive catalog.

I also notice that the general catalog seems to be missing lots of info -I did a search on both
"Mahler" and "Solti" and two tapes that I own (Solti conducting the LSO in the Resurrection and the CSO in the 6th) didn't come up under either search.
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2010, 01:43:34 PM »
Hi folks, I have been working with ironbut Steve on our collections of B-C tapes. Both of us have been collecting for a long time. Turns out together we have 262 (Steve having more than me) of the B-C titles, out of a total of 344 titles that they issued - we also both have about 60 titles.  I have carefully checked the catalogue listed a couple of posts above by Kevin and it appears to be complete, with a few errors that I am sending him, along with a bunch of the artists that he lists as unknown.  He currently lists 346 titles of which I found two duplicate listings. In addition there are six issues that were done both in dolby B and dbx II.  So there were actually 338 different titles, so Steve and I have between 75-80% of all the titles ever issued. Tom R has noted a few titles that were not on the list - but those look like dolby B issued by London, not B-C. I believe that B-C was not able (or willing) to license any London issues, perhaps because London was doing prerecorded tapes, including dolby B's.  They did license and issue the London/Decca stablemates - Argo and L'Oiseau Lyre.
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline TomR

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2010, 08:22:02 PM »
Larry, the ones I mentioned were not in the BC catalog - they were missing from the broad data base that Steve had pointed to.

BTW, I still have your Jacqui autograph......thought you were coming to Palo Alto at some point?

Tom
Thomas Ream

Technics RS1520(not yet modified)/Nottingham Space 294 w/Koetsu Black and Simaudio LP5.3/Sony XA9000ES/ReVox A-77/Simaudio I-7/B&W 804's