Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: New 4 track tape heads?  (Read 10284 times)

Offline classicrecordings

• View Profile
    • Classic Recordings
New 4 track tape heads?
« on: May 25, 2007, 05:33:27 PM »
Does Flux Magnetics produce a 1/4" 4 track head which could be installed at the same time as their 2 track head?

If yes, could it optimized for 7.5 ips playback speed, while keeping their 2 track head optimized for 15 ips?

TIA, David
David Stangret
HK Citation 1 Pre-amp, Thorens TD-124, Ortofon 309S arm, SPU cartridges, mono block tube amps, Ars Acoustica LaDiva speakers, and I'm still trying to decide what machine to go with.
http://www.classicrecordings.ca

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: New 4 track tape heads?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 09:14:39 PM »
I've already inquired about this exact thing. I was told that the extended response heads are optimized for 15ips. I emailed John French over at JFR Magnetics to find out the best sounding 1/4" 1/4 track head that can be fitted to my RS1500 optimized for 7 1/2ips playback. I asked for it to match with the 47K ohm input of Doc's repo amp. It's been a week or 2 since I sent that email so I'll check with them again and post their response on this thread. I know that JFR sells Flux Mag. heads so it may be posable to have both installed by JFR.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 05:35:09 PM »
Yes, Flux Magnetics makes quarter track heads. I have had them make me a couple for my ATR-100's, and we discussed providing new heads for the Technics 1500's as well. You'll be able to get them from us if we're doing work on a machine, or from any other dealer including JRF Magnetic Science. I wouldn't worry about what speed they are optimized for...the head will definitely not be the limiting factor at 7.5 ips. If you have a collection of 7.5 ips quarter track tapes this would be the way to get the best playback of them you've ever heard.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2007, 09:34:03 AM »
Great, thanks Paul. That's what I was hoping for. Sometimes when I deal with distributors, I'm not sure that they realize the extremes that I'm will to go to to eek out that last bit of performance. They're probably "sane" or something. I come from a phono based mind set. I've spent a lot for me on cartridges (never over $2K) and heads have the same duty as far as I'm concerned. So the price for the best ( in 1/4" terms at least ) heads seem like chump change to me. I'm very glad that you guys are paying attention to the tape handling too. I'm thinking that's like a tonearm.
BTW, I don't know if you saw my post on the Suggestions forum regarding the Bill Evans Quintessence album. I think you'd probably like it. I'm not sure if you Well Tempered ( I think that's what you had ) will play 45rpm but the sound is fantastic!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline High and Outside

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Quintessence, was:New 4 track tape heads?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2007, 12:36:42 PM »
Yo Steve,
Yes, I saw your suggestion of Quintessence. I'm going  to be checking it out right away. Evans, Harold Land (whom I loved with Clifford Brown), Kenny Burrell (one of my all time favorites), Ray Brown and Philly Jo Jones--what's not to like? No problem playing 45 RPM around here. The Well Tempered at the studio--that's what I use to QC the 45's I cut for MoFi. The Empire and Thorens at home play 45 too.

BTW, the couple of weeks I got to work on a Bill Evans session may still be the high point of my career. You know those two albums he did with Tony Bennett? I was assistant engineer on the recording dates for the second album--someone else assisted for the mix--backing up Don Cody, with Helen Keane producing. Then I did the LP mastering. It would be hard to overstate the level of artistry that man brought to the sessions.
Paul Stubblebine
Managing Director, The TapeProject

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2007, 10:03:09 AM »
Wow! I'm a huge Bill Evans fan! You must have some golden memories of those sessions. I've seen some B&W video of him( with his brother ) talking about his approach to playing a tune. His musical mind was wired in a very special way. I saw Bennett at Monterey a couple of years ago and he brought the house down. I have the lp titled "The Tony Bennett Bill Evans Album" and love it.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 06:34:47 PM »
Yes, Flux Magnetics makes quarter track heads. I have had them make me a couple for my ATR-100's, and we discussed providing new heads for the Technics 1500's as well. You'll be able to get them from us if we're doing work on a machine, or from any other dealer including JRF Magnetic Science. I wouldn't worry about what speed they are optimized for...the head will definitely not be the limiting factor at 7.5 ips. If you have a collection of 7.5 ips quarter track tapes this would be the way to get the best playback of them you've ever heard.
I just got a response from John French and sure enough,.. he said the same thing that Paul did. You can get a replacement 1/4 track head for less (see Mikey's post) but, if your anything like me and don't want to cut any corners, it's only a $300 difference with no regrets.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades