TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: Danish tape recorders- Lyrec Frida  (Read 12300 times)

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Danish tape recorders- Lyrec Frida
« on: May 26, 2007, 05:20:12 PM »
Who knows anything about this interesting and very late recorder? The factory still supports it to some degree and a few have shown up on ebay recently. Many European national radio corporations used them for location work. I just spoke to one ex-BBC engineer who had some experience with one this afternoon. 27 pounds and it has switchable NAB/IEC eq. I've been told it is great for editing.

http://www.lyrec.dk/images/frida.gif

rich brown
acoustic arts
portland, oregon

Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline niklasthedolphin

• View Profile
Re: Danish tape recorders- Lyrec Frida
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 02:42:33 PM »
I have one of those machines.

It's a piece of ingeneering art.

Lyrec made also master machines from 2 to 24 tracks.

These products range in the same class as the Nagra T and the Stellavox SD9 and certainly leave behind Studer, Tascam, Otari etc.

Kindly and sorry I didn't join up and replied long time ago.

"dolph"

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2007, 05:56:13 PM »
Thanks for the reply. I've since purchased one and it is quite a fine little deck. Weighs 27 pounds and handles tape about as well as a Studer B67. Takes up to 12 inch reels and has IEC/NAB eq. Very crappy headphone amp and no mic inputs are the only downsides I could find.

Rich Brown
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline niklasthedolphin

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2007, 02:41:23 AM »
Thanks for the reply. I've since purchased one and it is quite a fine little deck. Weighs 27 pounds and handles tape about as well as a Studer B67. Takes up to 12 inch reels and has IEC/NAB eq. Very crappy headphone amp and no mic inputs are the only downsides I could find.

Rich Brown

For having real mic inputs, you need phanton power, thus individual mic preamps are needed for your choise of quality.

The head amp is wonderful on my machine.
Testet with Beyerdynamic DT-880, Sennheiser 650 and the best of the three; Ergo 2.
Compared to what you get on the market of individual headphone preamps, none of them beats the headamp in the Lyrec up to ~$3.000-4.500.

Something must be wrong in your machine.
My machine passed the factory to get everything alligned, testet and standard.

I'm puzzled by your conviction here?

"dolph"