TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: shipment begins  (Read 20703 times)

Offline jcmusic

• View Profile
Re: shipment begins
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2010, 08:26:43 PM »
Well Charles thanks for the kind words and the reply, I am not really sure where to start there is alot I could say in response. I will just say that a kick out clause would be nice but, I don't see it. As for the notification I now understand a little more why these two instances happened, at the same time would love to see some type of option in the event this were to happen again!!!

Jay
Redpoint Model D TT/Soundsmith Sotto Voce Cartridge Otari MX 5050 BII/BH Tube Repro deHavilland Model 222
 Ah Njoe Tjoeb 4000, Rogue Magnum 99, Korneff 45 SET Amp, Klipsch K-Horns Bass Bins/2" Tractrix Horns 2" BMS Drivers, Vintage Tubes.

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2010, 12:48:41 AM »
Hello, all,

Just received my first TP album, TP-015...magnificent!  It feels great to be a Tape Project subscriber and sustain such an admirable enterprise :-)

Congratulations,

Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2010, 02:34:55 AM »
I think everyone will agree, it's unfortunate that there are damages on any of the master tapes of the fantastic performances. I curse the careless soul that miss handled these tapes every time I hear a drop out. But, when I subscribed to the TP, it was to hear what the insiders, who have access to these precious tapes, hear when they play them when remastering etc..

I find these minor problems akin to a missed note by the performers. We certainly have the technology to edit these out of a recording (and it is common practice) but IMHO, that removes some of the humanity and I feel cheated. I want to hear the performer's work and not the editor's or producer's.

I agree very much with Mike's opinion regarding these flaws. Some of these recordings were made in the 1950's so they don't have long to wait before they can begin to receive Medicare. I think we're lucky that they have as few flaws as they do considering how unimportant they were considered for decades.

But, it's really about the listening experience of the music that's the bottom line for me. I'll take a slightly flawed recording of Burrell/Coltrane or Ben Webster (his playing on that album just melts me!) over just about anything else that's been done recently and might be in perfect shape.
So, when it comes down to it, it's all about the music right?

Yes, I was just listening to "Domino" by Van Morrison and I could hear a tape edit and a squeak in the drum kit even on my modest Thorens / Grado / Apt Holman / AKG phones rig. Of course these sorts of issues could be and regularly are fixed in pro tools today as are other flaws particularly associated with analog recording. But does it make for a better musical experience?
Perhaps if all is rendered in a high resolution format that takes nothing away from the music. I am not going to go to the extreme that all primitive recording with obvious sonic flaws is better. But fixing every flaw does not always make for the best music. Particularly when it comes to small performance glitches. I think not fixing every tiny issue makes a more accessible human quality as no live performance is completely perfect.  Even a tape dropout or pop on a disc can remind you of the nature of a recording in a good way and become familiar like any part of the music. Not that these artifacts are good in and of themselves...
sorry to semi-hijack the thread   

Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...