Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: 5050 output cable length  (Read 4874 times)

Offline jimkjr

• View Profile
5050 output cable length
« on: February 26, 2010, 09:42:18 AM »
Is there a max length that should not be exceeded,due to resistance/impedance of the cable? And would a thinner silver conductor be better than copper in this respect? I will be running approx. 20 ft., will there be any degradtion in sound quality with that distance?
Jim

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: 5050 output cable length
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2010, 10:18:28 AM »
Is this cable coming from the standard balanced XLR line outputs of a stock MX5050? If so, it's probably fine to have that long a run as long as the cable is well shielded. If, however, you are talking about cables from a machine that has been modified for direct head output running into an outboard playback preamp you want to use very short, low capacitance cables.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline jimkjr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2010, 01:00:20 PM »
Docb
How about from an outboard pwr. supply/preamp that is already connected to the head?
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 01:02:00 PM by jimkjr »
Jim

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2010, 03:53:11 PM »
I would have to know the output impedance of the outboard preamp to give a useful answer. If it low, like 500 ohms, it will probably be fine. If it is higher, like 5K ohms, cable length will best be kept shorter.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline jimkjr

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2010, 06:02:19 PM »
Thanks Doc
I appreciate the input.Now I have another problem,and I don't know if you can help.The forward tension arm is loose at the top of the arm.Can that be tightened from the top,or do I have to get to it underneath the deck inside?

Doc,I fixed the problem with the loose tension,it was a simple fix,as you probably know.But again thank you for your previous advice.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2010, 09:42:27 AM by jimkjr »
Jim