Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: ATR-102 with Tube Repro  (Read 7992 times)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
ATR-102 with Tube Repro
« on: February 12, 2010, 06:44:25 PM »
Not operational yet but getting there. An ATR-102 rebuilt by ATR Services as a rack mount (FOAK for Mike Spitz) with Bottlehead tube repro and Ironbut Dolby processor. The transport has, in addition to the full compliment of 1/2 track heads, a 1/4 track playback head. It has switches to select between the 1/4 and 1/2 playback heads as well as between the stock and the Bottlehead electronics.

Very decent footprint and, to me, looks very nice!

Still have to fill the void between the deck and the stock electronics. Maybe a Dolby A processor? I read somewhere that Charles is working on them
Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
Re: ATR-102 with Tube Repro
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 06:45:19 PM »
Another pic
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 06:53:40 PM »
Congrat's Xavier!

Keep us posted on your progress.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Teeg

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2010, 08:24:09 AM »
 That setup looks great; I've never seen a 100-series machine in anything but the roll-around cart.

Can you elaborate on how switching is handled between the 1/2 track and 1/4 track playback?  Is there a factory switch on the headblock (like on older Ampex's) or was it added somewhere else in the system?

Tj
T.j. Bassi  
    Martin Logan reQuests....Martin Logan Descent x 2....Atma-Sphere MA1 OTL amplification....Krell KPS25s digital front end....VPI Scoutmaster....Studer A80 VU MKII....Ampex 300-2 Tube/SS Playback "Ampexius Maximus"....Ampex MR-70

Offline c1ferrari

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2010, 08:29:50 PM »
Xavier,

That's a heckuva set-up you have there...congrats!

-Sam
Sam Lucero
SPQCV
:-)

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2010, 07:44:02 AM »
Can you elaborate on how switching is handled between the 1/2 track and 1/4 track playback?  Is there a factory switch on the headblock (like on older Ampex's) or was it added somewhere else in the system?

There's two switches on the headblock. One to select between 1/4 and 1/2 track heads. The other to select stock or Bottlehead electronics. They are under the headblock cover. They were added by ATR Services. I'll try to post as pic tonight.
Xavier Cortes

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2010, 05:57:10 PM »
The deck and repro are working right now. The preamp needs a lot of breaking in yet so it's still sounding harsh but Led Zeppelin is rocking as I had never heard before. This is punch and rythm baby!
Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2010, 07:16:23 PM »
Woo Hoo!!!

That's been quite a journey Xavier!
I'm sure it'll reward you many, many times over.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline docb

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2010, 08:27:10 PM »
The preamp needs a lot of breaking in yet so it's still sounding harsh

That is why we let our customers decide about having V-Caps in there. They do sound great eventually, but at first...ouch.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project