Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: TEAC X-2000R - belt changed: Play OK but Fast Forward/Rewind very slow/difficult  (Read 6643 times)

Offline Fabio

• View Profile
Dear Forum members,

I Trust you are doing great!

I hope you can give some guidance on the above issue.

I have changed the main belt following Big Dave guidelines and using a belt he provided (from Ebay UK).

This X-2000R has been kept in the box for the last 20 years and has no signs of usage at all!

I have put some gun/3-in-1 oil only in the specified places and cleaned the mechanical parts with Alcohol 95% and changed the belt.

Now the deck goes in Play perfectly, but if I try to push Fast Forward or Fast Rewind, the reels move very slowly and with very big difficulty.

Do I have to make any maintenance in the main two motors or in other parts? Can I have some guidance & help to have this great machine again 100% operational?

Thank you very much, I appreciate your assistance!

Best Regards,

Fabio

Offline Tim

• View Profile
Are you using a new reel of tape?  If the tape is old, you may have defective (sticky) tape. 
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline Fabio

• View Profile
Hello Tim,

Thank you for your reply!

I will check now if the FFWD has different behaviour depending the tape I load, even though all the tapes I have (and I love!) are old,  recorded when my private radio station was still alive in the '80s!

Tim, is there any way to recover defective Sticky tapes? As said I am really attached to them!

Thank you again!

Best Regards,

Fabio

Offline Tim

• View Profile
An article on defective tapes and how to fix them.

http://www.tangible-technology.com/tape/baking1.html
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline Fabio

• View Profile
Thank you Tim!