Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: edge ripple  (Read 5899 times)

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
edge ripple
« on: March 07, 2010, 05:02:40 PM »
a quick question, once a tape has edge ripple, is it defective for good?  thanks!
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: edge ripple
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2010, 05:39:33 PM »
Yes. This curling is a permanent deformation of the tape backing. It usually takes years and years to form.
If a tape with this problem is important enough, restoration/archivists have machines or headblocks that are designed to get the most out of curled tapes so a decent transfer of it can be made.
Of course, this isn't free so that's why I say,.. important.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Tim

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2010, 05:52:41 PM »
I wonder what would happen if you took a servo tape-tension deck (one that maintains constant tension throughout the reel) and temporarily cranked up the play-mode back-tension (say, from 40 grams to 80).  Might help flatten the tape for transferring to another medium.  Also, a temporary pressure pad made from hard felt might also help.
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
Re: edge ripple- pressure pad deck
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2010, 06:27:29 PM »
I bet if you played it back on a Crown or another deck with pressure pads your tape would play back just fine.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
Thanks, all, about what I though, and U47, I believe you are correct with a pressure pad on the tape playback head I would be fine, I did try holding the ripple edge down on the head with a Q-tip and that helped, but getting a good tape is better I'm sure, finding a Crown may be a bit of an undertaking...
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2010, 12:41:28 PM »
I tried one of my tapes that has some nasty edge ripple on my Pioneer RT-909 that I restored, it played that tape fine even with the edge ripple.  The 909 is a dual capstan machine, it also runs the tape tension around 30-40% higher than most decks, I guess that extra tension was enough to "pull" the ripple out...

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 10:46:12 AM »
while not a ripple response, I have some tapes where the sound in the tutti passage can, and often, gets very strained, congested, and downright shrill, what causes this phenomenon?

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 11:09:59 AM »
If it is an older prerecorded tape, it may well be that the tape itself was oversaturated when it was originally recorded. It could also be that you have the gain set too high and that is overloading your preamp or other part of your system.  You can check this first by seeing whether the VU meter is being pinned when playing back. If you reduce the gain so the VU meter is not pinned at the highest volume, and the distortion is still there, then it is most probably in the tape. If it is a dolby B tape, then the overload could be happening in the dolby B decoder.   Hope this helps.  Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 02:07:14 PM »
astrotoy, I'll give that a try, but I don't believe the needles were pinned...thanks