Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: 5050 MKIII playback problem  (Read 6333 times)

Offline jimkjr

• View Profile
5050 MKIII playback problem
« on: March 09, 2010, 02:49:45 PM »
I am having a problem with playback, after the play button is depressed.It would slow almost immediately.Then I did the following checks and maintenance, I cleaned the tape path thourghly,adjusted the pinch roller pressure,and checked the brake pressure(which was fine),now the tape will play about halfway thru a tape,then begin to slow.Could it be that I need a new pinch roller? I just acquired this deck,and it has been sitting for some years unused.Any help will be appreciated.
Jim

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: 5050 MKIII playback problem
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 03:13:03 PM »
Hey Jim,

That kinda sounds like a sticky tape to me. If so, you'll only keep gumming up the tape path every time you try and play it ( if it's a sticky tape, you probably need to clean it again).
I don't know what you tried cleaning your tape path with before (don't forget to clean the inside corners of the guides and the heads where you can't really see them) but use naptha or something strong like Laser Media Head Cleaning solution.

Use a different tape (not Ampex/Quantegy) and try it again.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jimkjr

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 12:35:54 PM »
I have tried a number of tapes,some 2trk and some 4trk. Most are not playing.I have also tried an ampex tape and one did not play,but one that is almost 25min long has played one side without a problem,and is now playing the other side and there does not seem to be a problem so far.I spoke too soon,the tape slowed before about 5min. before it was finished. So what can be done with the tapes that do not want to play? Is baking them a fix? And or do I have some other problem?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 12:58:24 PM by jimkjr »
Jim

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 01:14:18 PM »
Hey Jim,
Usually when stick shed is bad enough to stop the machine, it's a combination of the sticky tape and what those tapes leave on your tape path. You should be aware that this problem is also found with other brands of tape (3M/Scotch for instance) but Ampex 456 is the formulation most commonly associated with it.
You can bake these tapes but this is only a temporary fix. Usually a week-weeks but sometimes a month-months.
Before you jump into baking those tape though, I'd advise you to get a new tape (maybe a 7" reel of RMGI 911) just to be sure it isn't something else.
Make sure and use some naptha or purpose made head cleaner and clean that tape path like you've never cleaned it before. When I've played sticky tapes in the past, it usually took 1/2 an hour of cleaning then examining every nook and cranny of the tape path before I got all of it off. If you don't get it all, it can get transfered to your new tape and you're back at square one!
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 03:59:13 PM »
Jim, is it possible that the capstan needs lubrication? The owner's manual shows how to do it. It says that is the only part that need lubrication - every 6 months or so. Also, the pinch roller should be spinning pretty freely. It should be quite black in color. I spent a lot of time cleaning the pinch roller to get it black - when I bought my MKIII, the pinch roller was quite brown in color. I used the Laser Media blue label cleaner from US Recording Media.    Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline jimkjr

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 04:16:28 PM »
Thanks Larry
Yes,I did lube the capstan. Also Ironbutt,what do I do with all my older pre-recorded tapes? I have quite a lot of money tied up there.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2010, 04:18:16 PM by jimkjr »
Jim

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 05:04:59 PM »
If you're referring to commercially recorded tapes ( usually 7" 1/4 track, 7 1/2ips), it really depends on the tape that the companies used. The only ones that I find have repeated problems with sticky shed are the latter releases. Most of these are on back coated tape and the labels are Phillips and London. The older tapes don't have this problem since the binders whose chemistry leads to these problems were used after the mid 70's.

No matter what the tape is, proper storage can help to prevent problems. There are quite a few tips in "the Beginners Guide" located in a stick above the General forum.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jimkjr

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2010, 01:29:10 PM »
Thank you Steve
That is where I am having the problem,playing commercially pre-recorded tapes, that are some 30 yrs. and older.And I have been going thru them trying to get them stored properly.I also went online to
US recording media to find the Pelon you mentioned in your stick,and it was not listed on the site.I guess
I will have to email them for a quote and availability.
Jim

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2010, 02:49:21 PM »
I noticed that Kurt stopped selling rolls of Pelon. I have feeling that it was just a particular grade of the Pellon that they use for sewing (it sure looks like the stiff they use for back on quilts etc). I'd be interested in what they have to say.
You can after all, buy sq yards of Pellon for not that much.

http://www.createforless.com/search/search.aspx?txtSearch=pellon&gclid=CPeTgc_IsaACFQQTawod_CH2Sw

steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jimkjr

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2010, 05:12:56 PM »
So can you tell me anything more about what my playback problem might be,other than just vigoursly cleaning the tape path?
Jim