Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: HD computer download to R2R  (Read 4140 times)

Offline mittg

• View Profile
HD computer download to R2R
« on: March 04, 2010, 06:52:02 PM »
Being a newbie I am not sure how to proceed. I would like to download some HD tracks (ie: https://www.hdtracks.com/index.php?file=catalogdetail&valbum_code=884385011604) and record directly to my Otari MX500 BII.  How do I feed directly from my computer to the R2R for recording?
Gerry Mittica

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: HD computer download to R2R
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 07:35:52 PM »
Hi Gerry,

The easiest (cheapest) way to do this would be to get an adapter cable and use the 3.5mm stereo output from the built in soundcard of your computer directly to the inputs of your Otari. You can pick up a 3.5mm to dual RCA cable from just about any electronics store (Best Buy, Radio Shack etc). If you have to use XLR inputs to your Otari, you can pick up RCA to XLR adapters at some place like Guitar Center.

If you want better sound and get the advantage of the higher sample/bit rates, the best thing to do is to process the digital signal outside of the computer with an outboard device via USB or Firewire. There's a gazillion choices but for around $200, E-Mu has some decent units.

http://www.emu.com/products/product.asp?category=610&subcategory=611&product=15185

For price/performance, it's pretty tough to beat the 0404.
This stuff changes almost daily and I haven't really looked into what's out there now so it would be worth your while to do your homework on that. Just be sure that whatever you get is compatible with whatever type of computer you have and the operating system you use.

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mittg

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:04:21 PM »
Steve, First baking tapes nowthis. You are the man!. I have a pair of silver interconnects with XLR to the Otari and rca on the other end. So I guess I just need the adapter from the computer to each RCA. It just seems so low end to have a single small cord out of the computer "y" to the interconnects. Now that I think of it I have a wireless slim server that sends music from my computer to my preamp. Maybe the preamp could dirct the signal to the Otari for recording. Downloading HD TRACKS burning on a cd, recording directly onto an Otari and sending throughslim server. I wonder which will sound best. This experimentation is great!
Gerry Mittica

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:30:09 PM »
If your preamp has a tape loop with a pair of inputs and outputs that would be the ticket. Tape loop outputs bypass's the preamp and whatever is selected on the regular source selector is what shows up on it. That would be easy since you'd just have to connect the recorder to it.
If you don't, there's no reason why you couldn't connect your SqueezeBox directly to the inputs of your recorder. Try and keep it a little distance between the two or you might pick up a little digital hash.
Either way, that kinda stuff is a real kick to play with.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades