Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Grand Master Tapes: Known Artists  (Read 4010 times)

Offline dajo

• View Profile
Grand Master Tapes: Known Artists
« on: March 19, 2010, 08:05:24 PM »
I was searchin for some info, and found this forum.
A great resource!

Once I saw the garage sale reference in this catagory, i figured maybe it was time to ask...

I have come accross some Master Tapes of known artists. No one that big, but known. One semi hit from '88 that I've noticed. Still have to look through them. About 40 in all.

Rusty Garner and Paul Sabu listed as producers/engineers on some.

The labeling on the boxes, and the recording notes inside are enough to show me that they are legit.

How would I market these tapes? Figure out a value?
Is there a copywrite problem?

I would have to assume that someone would have an interest in other than the Ampex to reuse.

ANY info would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Grand Master Tapes: Known Artists
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2010, 09:13:08 PM »
Hi dajo (BTW we use our real names on this forum),

Unless there are rights included with those master tapes, there could certainly be copyright issues. There are exceptions but you'd have to find out if these are orphaned (where rights were never claimed) or if these tapes were sold by someone with the rights to do so.
I've seen tapes that claim to be masters which are many times something other than what we would consider master tapes (master dubs or running masters for example). Most of the time, original master tapes will have a great deal of information written on the box and/or reel.

Since things can get pretty sticky regarding dealing with these types of tapes, we discourage the discussion of them here. After all, the Tape Project is dependent on the record companies to obtain the legal rights to make these tapes and we should do our best not to venture into these gray areas.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline dajo

• View Profile
Re: Grand Master Tapes: Known Artists
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 06:17:12 PM »
Thanks for the response, and it was certainly not my intention to violate any forum protocol. I had found some info that there were no copyright issues, as these are just recordings, not intellectual property.

My question was more of along the lines of do they have value, and to whom? If there is proprietary issues, should I contact artist or recording company?

if this shouldn't be discussed here, can you refer me in the right direction, as there is not much precident that I can find. (I did find an Ozzie Osbourne master tape listed on ebay in January)

Thanks,

Dale