Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Fer reel????  (Read 12635 times)

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Fer reel????
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 12:50:04 PM »
Yikes!
If that machine goes for anything close to that, I hope there's going to be a big party at their house!
When I was shopping around for a Garrard 301, there was an oil bearing one that was still in the box and I could hardly believe it sold for a whole $2500 US. I guess that was a bargain compared to this (of course that was quite a few years ago).
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 01:55:09 PM »
Yikes!
If that machine goes for anything close to that, I hope there's going to be a big party at their house!
When I was shopping around for a Garrard 301, there was an oil bearing one that was still in the box and I could hardly believe it sold for a whole $2500 US. I guess that was a bargain compared to this (of course that was quite a few years ago).

Yes some of these prices have gotten out of control. For instance, a Technics SP10 table going for 9k :(

Myles
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 07:33:40 PM »

For instance, a Technics SP10 table going for 9k :(

Myles

yes, but at $9k the SP-10 Mk3 is better (subjectively, of course) than any other tt you can purchase for $9k. i've added a Steve Dobbins plinth to mine and removed the case. it is pretty damn awesome. the market place is not $9k because it's vintage; it's because it offers a direct drive system which cannot be touched anywhere near that price....in other words it's $9k due to the value of it's performance. i dare say that a $100k Technics RS-1500 does not offer performance value at that price.

mikel
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:41:14 PM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 08:05:17 PM »
I can't recall a time when SP-10's weren't in pretty high demand. IIRC, they sold for $1200 when they were new and at the time, it just seemed like an insane amount of money to spend on a turntable without an arm.
I really wish that some of those big companies would put out statement products a little more often. Of course they aren't all game changing, but some of them are good enough to rattle the cages of small esoteric shops.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline astrotoy

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 08:49:37 PM »
Of course, the only reason they are selling the 1500 for $100K is to get attention. They say that they will consider offers. If it has any extra value it is only if it remains unopened. However, it could be a junked machine - you will only know if you open it.  Hope someone offers $600 or so. Larry
Larry Toy CharterMember-BHReproTechnics1506/Akai747dbx/OtariMX5050B3-ClassicalVinylFreak-15Krecs-VPIHRXRimDrv-LyraSkala-HelikonMono-HerronVTSP3A/BHPhonoPre-PacificMicrosonics Model2 - Pyramix&MykerinosCard-OppoNE-Proceed AVP2+6/CVP2-CJ MET1-Cary 2A3SE-AvantgardeDuos-3Solos-VelodyneDD18Sub

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 10:29:27 AM »
If you look at the seller's feedback, he/she had sold fire arm to water filter...  I often see very valuable audio gear put up for sale by antique dealers with no appreciation for the equipments but have some ideas from Googling the piece for prior sales - demanding large amount for the unit and trolling for suckers to bite (like me...).

I bought one of my master recorders from supposedly a local seller last year who turned out to be a traveling Craiglist "WTB Vintage Highend" gear person from out of state.  He told me he posts his WTB ads around the country ahead of time for his visits to the major cities and resells them on eBay.  We met at a place about an hour away from Seattle and to my surprise, he didn't even own the recorder at the time of the transaction.  He demanded the money first to take his 40% and handed over the balance to the real owner - a couple who looked to be in need of the money badly.  As I was leaving the parking lot with the recorder in the back of my car... I felt bad about the whole deal for the couple and for myself for being a sucker - going against my own advice I had given to other people who wanted to buy a tape recorder... telling them to do the basic tests before buying instead  I had bought a recorder from a Saftway parking lot... 

The seller for the $100K 1500RU reminds me of the traveling Craigslist guy...
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 11:58:20 AM »
Wow, that's quite a story Ki.
I guess in the end, if the couple gets the money, he gets his cut and you end up with a nice machine things aren't too bad.
It goes to show that even with well established buy/sell sites, the "buyer beware" sign is still in place.
Maybe it's a sign of the economic climate but there seems to be more "sharks" in the waters. It could be that these "sharks" have just learned to eek out more profit from auction sites etc.. (Padding their profit with large shipping/handling charges for example)

If I think about it, I also browse the sellers feedback not just for the "positive/negatives" but the balance of buying and selling items. I can't help thinking that some of the inflation of prerecorded tape prices we've seen lately is due to those folks who've bought the tapes for low/reasonable prices and are re-selling them with starting prices that insure that they'll at least break even. Of course, that's what many of these markets have evolved into.

I recently received a tape that is a dub of the the original. The tape stock appears to be used and the reel is a much lower quality. Other than that, the labels are almost exactly the same and slightly distressed to appear aged. The box is a little larger (depth) but without having several other copies of this same tape, it would have been difficult to say for sure that it's counterfeit. I'll be posting something about this latter when I do a little more research into the matter. For now, suffice it to say that the sound of the tape is pretty low quality. I can hear the low quality playback/record amps imposing their will on what is normally a fantastic sounding recording.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline xcortes

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 12:34:43 PM »

Hey Steve,

I can tell you the exact date of that auction: November 3, 2005. How I know? I was the buyer and I purchased it from the hospital the same day my daughter was born.  Probably one of my best purchases in audio measured by pleasure when using it, reliability and trustiness. I've listened to it every day since then. I still have three quarters of the original grease tube.

Xavier Cortes

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 12:46:26 PM »
No Way Xavier!

That's funny. The next time I was looking for a 301 was several years latter and I was kicking myself for not buying that one!
Man, 2005,.. how time flies!
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 01:33:15 PM »
It's a small, small, world indeed.

Steve,

I am interested in learning more about your suspect pre-recorded tape.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 02:36:17 PM »

yes, but at $9k the SP-10 Mk3 is better (subjectively, of course) than any other tt you can purchase for $9k. i've added a Steve Dobbins plinth to mine and removed the case. it is pretty damn awesome. the market place is not $9k because it's vintage; it's because it offers a direct drive system which cannot be touched anywhere near that price....in other words it's $9k due to the value of it's performance. i dare say that a $100k Technics RS-1500 does not offer performance value at that price.

mikel

Hi Mike!

No aspersions meant towards the SP10 :) Just the price! Then add in the Dobbin's mod and you're talking 25k. But I heard the Dobbins at CES and was really struck (NPI) by the 'tables sound. Sure it sounds amazing in your system -- in fact better than the Rockport based on my memory of the Rockport table when I set it up and maintained it for a friend.

Funny thing is that I can't remember a time in recent audio history where there's been a greater supply of great sounding tables/arm/cartridge than nowadays!
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:39:58 PM by MylesAstor »
Myles B. Astor

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 02:38:14 PM »

Hey Steve,

I can tell you the exact date of that auction: November 3, 2005. How I know? I was the buyer and I purchased it from the hospital the same day my daughter was born.  Probably one of my best purchases in audio measured by pleasure when using it, reliability and trustiness. I've listened to it every day since then. I still have three quarters of the original grease tube.

LOL.

Myles
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 02:40:51 PM by MylesAstor »
Myles B. Astor

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 04:56:45 PM »
Xavier,
One of these days I hope to meet your family.
When that day comes, I'll be sure and keep the fact that you were bidding on a turntable while your wife was going through closely spaced contractions to myself!
That's usually not the sort of thing that, after a given amount of time, you both could look back on and laugh.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 06:12:05 PM by ironbut »
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline mikel

• View Profile
    • my system page.
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 05:56:29 PM »

Hi Mike!

No aspersions meant towards the SP10 :) Just the price! Then add in the Dobbin's mod and you're talking 25k.

none taken; i was just 'splaining why the high value.

actually; when you add the Dobbins Mods even to $9k (i paid a good amount less 2 years ago) the total would be less than $15k....IF... you could find an SP-10 Mk3. it is important to note that there is a large difference between the market value of a good Mk2 ($800--$2000) and a Mk3 ($7000++++).

But I heard the Dobbins at CES and was really struck (NPI) by the 'tables sound. Sure it sounds amazing in your system -- in fact better than the Rockport based on my memory of the Rockport table when I set it up and maintained it for a friend.

Funny thing is that I can't remember a time in recent audio history where there's been a greater supply of great sounding tables/arm/cartridge than nowadays!

in truth; the Rockport smokes it in musical nuance, low noise and ease of presentation. in fact; when i play my best RTR master dubs it really shows just how much closer the Rockport is to a master tape than any other source. i think a linear tracker gets phase correct in a recording as only master tape can. any pivoting tonearm will only have phase correct at two momentary positions on the record. and PCM digital never has phase correct as it's lost in the decimation process.

this Rockport you mantained for your friend; was it the Sirius III? there is a huge difference between the Sirius III and the other Rockports (i owned a Sirius II which listed for over $35k less than the Sirius III). btw, was your friend who owned the Rockport an artist living in Manhattan by any chance?

« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 07:15:08 PM by mikel »
Mike Lavigne