TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Power cables of older Dolby A units ?  (Read 3548 times)

Offline Yoko

• View Profile
Power cables of older Dolby A units ?
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:04:09 PM »
The older Dolby A units have different power cords. What is there type name ? Are replacement cords available ?
Yoko

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Power cables of older Dolby A units ?
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 12:23:49 AM »
Hey Yoko,
Welcome to the forum.
If it's an older Dolby Labs unit and has an oval shaped hole and three round male blades, I usually just replace the outlet with a regular IEC receiver.
The hardest part is hogging out the hole ( I use a Dremel and files). To remove the old receiver, there are two screws on the bottom of the unit that hole the red "protective" shield and once that's off, you'll see the back of the old plug. Just be sure and mark the poles since they're the same as a modern IEC.

You may be able to buy one of those cords but I don't know what they're called. If you can figure that out, someone like Newark Electronics might have one but if your just guessing, number of possible blade patterns is overwhelming (at least to me!)
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
Re: Power cables of older Dolby A units ?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2010, 09:35:57 AM »
Yoko,

I have a cable - where do you live - Email me: [email protected]

Charles