TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: unusual Columbia tape...  (Read 3931 times)

Offline Gkar

• Randy Warren
    • View Profile
unusual Columbia tape...
« on: March 29, 2010, 05:27:53 PM »
Has anyone seen Columbia tapes with a typical dull brown front side coating combined with a dull black backside coating?  Looks like the 406/407 tapes except the front side is dull brown, like all other tapes I have.  The reel is a bit different as well, typical grey color but just a single slot on each side, and minimalist label.  This one is Mahler's 9th with Walter, stereo disc M2S 676, thanks...
"Music possesses far richer means of expression, and it is a more subtle medium in which to translate the thousand shifting moments in the mood of a soul." - Tchaikovsky

Offline mikkelbreiler

• View Profile
Re: unusual Columbia tape...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 03:04:39 AM »
Has anyone seen Columbia tapes with a typical dull brown front side coating combined with a dull black backside coating?  Looks like the 406/407 tapes except the front side is dull brown, like all other tapes I have.  The reel is a bit different as well, typical grey color but just a single slot on each side, and minimalist label.  This one is Mahler's 9th with Walter, stereo disc M2S 676, thanks...

To me it appears to be backcoated, so someone probably replaced the tape with the sound of a CD. If you are lucky, of the same performance.

They had reels with a very small area for label, I have Miles Davis KOB issued in both that and the more conventional half moon label. Of all my 4 KOB tapes two have glue undone and one is missing the sticker entirely, the other still has it in the box stiff and dry of glue. Both of them are with the large half moon sticker, the last one is ok, and the one with the small sticker is also adhering well after all these years (knock on wood).

-Mikkel