TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: More Fantasy Please!  (Read 5754 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
More Fantasy Please!
« on: March 30, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
I know there's been a few threads regarding this catalog but I thought I'd start a new one considering that some of my "wish list" has been granted (thanks guys).
I'm not really sure how things usually go with the efforts to obtain the rights for making our tapes but I'm sure that once the door has been opened, it's a lot easier to negotiate for other titles in that same catalog. I also assume that with all the shuffling of record company ownership and such, that the door can also close if it's not used for a while.

I'm sure that the Tape Project principles are tired of hearing me say it but those Riverside Miles Davis titles just beg to be released on tape (IMHO of course). One of the reasons I'm so insistent about these particular recordings has to do with the shortcomings of the vinyl versions. In particular, when Miles is playing his muted horn and hits some of those notes really hard, it gets difficult to track properly. And while I get the note, there is the loss of a sense of ease that breaks the mood. I think that's one of the things about these tapes that I really love. There's a continuity from beginning to end regardless of the dynamics involved and that contributes to making me satisfied that I'm hearing everything there is to hear on a recording.

Aside from Miles, there are so many amazing performances in the Fantasy catalog that it would be easy to list a hundred. I know there's been a few treads regarding Art Pepper, CCR, Ben Webster etc.. But what do you think? There's also a lot of folks on this forum now and subscribers who've never posted their wish list. Let's see 'em!

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline bobschneider

• View Profile
Re: More Fantasy Please!
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2010, 05:45:10 PM »
I'd definitely be up for any or all of the Riverside Miles albums
Bob Schneider

Offline MylesAstor

• View Profile
    • Positive-Feedback Online
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2010, 03:29:26 PM »
I'd definitely be up for any or all of the Riverside Miles albums

What about giving us the other half of the Bill Evans performance-- Sunday at the Village Vanguard!!!
Myles B. Astor
Magico S5 Mk. 2/cj ART>cj GAT Series 2 preamp>Doshi 3.0 phono>VPI Vanquish/3D arm/Atlas SL/Ortofon A95 cartridges/SRA Ohio Class XL+2 base>Technics 1506/low ind. FM heads/balanced out/Doshi V3.0 tape stage>Kubala-Sosna Emotion/ Transparent Audio Gen. 5; Viero speaker cables

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 03:39:50 PM »
I'm all over that one Myles!
Nice looking cat,.. it sure is tiny though.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades