Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: RMGI 468 vs Quantegy 499  (Read 6208 times)

Offline analogmaster

• View Profile
RMGI 468 vs Quantegy 499
« on: March 31, 2010, 01:08:35 PM »
Anyone compared RMGI 468 tape to Quantegy 499?  What are the differences? 
Taj Madiwale
Magnepan 20.1s, Nola thunderbolt subs, Pass Labs X600.5s and XP25 phonostage, ARC Ref 3 pre and Ref 8 CD, VPI Ref Scoutmaster/10.5 arm/Dynavector XV1S cart, Tascam BR20 R2R with United Home Audio Phase 5 upgrade.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: RMGI 468 vs Quantegy 499
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 02:45:02 PM »
Hi Taj,

I've never done any comparisons in the sound quality between those two tapes but, unless you already have a stash of Ampex/Quantegy 499, I wouldn't buy any. All Ampex tape stock produced after the mid 70's is prone to sticky shed syndrome so it's a roll of the dice whether you're wasting your money and time buying any.
There's a post by Paul Stubblebine running around here somewhere where he states that he's had 499 go sticky in 6 months.
I think if you have your heart set on using and higher output tape like 499/GP9 I'd use the new ATR Magnetics tape. It seems like many of the studios that still spin tape have adopted it as the standard now. Be aware that you'd need to have your machine biased to whatever tape you decide on to get the most out of it.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades