TP-028, Nat Adderley's Work Song is now available

Author Topic: REVOX C270 Conversion  (Read 7319 times)

Offline eugen_syd

• View Profile
REVOX C270 Conversion
« on: April 02, 2010, 06:07:30 AM »
Hi people,

I recently discovered this forum and I just join it. I am a R2R enthusiast from Sydney Australia. I always loved reel to reels and always owned at least a few. I think I had them all, every possible AKAI, TECHNICS, REVOX etc. Also I have original service manuals Nealy for every machine possible. I discovered that is a little bit hard to maintain them all so I cut back, sold few(some I regret now like my Technics collection). I fall in love with REVOXES and they are now my favourites. I have 3 x B77, 2 x A77, 1 x A700, 1 x PR99 and also am proud of my C270. I am not doing professional recording, just use it as to record and listen to music. I have a large collection of tapes but most of them are recorded on 7-1/2ips 1/4 track (listen both sides) in NAB equalization.

I read about the TAPE PROJECT and I can see that for "pure recoding" people go to 15ips 1/2track recordings. I feel like I am swimming in the wrong direction. I have this beautiful C270 and I am not using it because no tapes for it. It is 7-1/2 and 15 ips, 1/2track, IEC equalisation which is what most people look for and I want to convert it to 3-3/4 and 7-1/2, 1/4 track, NAB equalisation. The idea is to have a "good machine" to record with. Am I doing the right thing? I just feel like is a waste and NO WAY TO SELL IT! I am trying to make it useful to me.
I read the documentation, got the right equalisation boards and in the process of replacing the heads but again is this the right thing to do? I'd love to hear your opinions.
Thank you all,
Eugen

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: REVOX C270 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2010, 12:19:47 PM »
Hi Eugen,
Welcome to the forum.
I would say that you should do yourself a favor and before you convert your 270, buy one of the Tape Project tapes and then make your decision. I realize that they're massively expensive but, they are shockingly good. I listen to a lot of old pre recorded tapes too and am on a very tight budget. But these tapes are on a whole different level. It takes me all year to save for my subscription but I feel like it's easily worth it.
Your 270 is already compatible with the format for these tapes (and maybe your Pr99 too). It would seem like a shame to change it before at least trying what it may be destined to do.

steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline eugen_syd

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2010, 09:02:40 PM »
Hi Steve,

Thank you for yoru kind advice. I still have a few machine TAPE PROJECT compatible. In order : REVOX A77, PR99, OTARI MX-55N, 5050 BII.
I had a look at the TAPE PROJECT tapes maybe I could pick LINDA RONSTADT....still the choices are very limited. How long been this TAPE PROJECT around? I'd love to hear a MIKE OLDFIELD any of his releases! I'll keep my options open in case something might develop.

Cheers,
Eugen

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2010, 12:16:50 AM »
The tapes started shipping in late 2007 early 2008. The first year was a little inconsistent as the trials of production and working out the details of such things as album art. The last 3 tapes have come pretty regularly though (it took quite a while for the first series of 10 to ship).
One nice thing about this is that there is a suggestion box for putting in votes for something that you'd like to see released as a tape.
If I could make a suggestion, one of the most popular tapes for demoing has been Blackjack David. I'd heard Dave Alvin live before but I wasn't prepared for how great this tape sounds. Lots of folks who've never heard of Alvin before just love this tape. You can download or buy a cd to check it out but I'd highly recommend it as a first TP purchase.
I love the Ronstadt too but it's still got a lot of the "new toy" aura surrounding it so I'm not sure where it falls in the "absolute sonics" dept.
I can assure you that no matter which tapes you choose, they'll be the best sounding version of that particular release you've ever heard.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades