TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Adjustments in REVOX C270  (Read 5600 times)

Offline eugen_syd

• View Profile
Adjustments in REVOX C270
« on: April 17, 2010, 06:08:51 PM »
Hi People,

I need to do electrical adjustments on my REVOX C270 according with the manual. The manual calls for cables extensions and cards extension in order to access the trim pots. Does anyone knows where I can get those or can I borrow and return (will pay freight no problems). Hope to hear from someone!
Best regards from down under.
Eugen

Offline C_Campbell

• View Profile
Re: Adjustments in REVOX C270
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2010, 12:11:56 PM »
Hi Eugen,

I use a Revox C270 on a daily basis for digitizing and archiving work, and periodically do a quick playback alignment using the appropriate MRL Reproducer Calibration Tapes. As you probably know if you have the Studer Revox service manual for the C270, all of those adjustments, as well as the record adjustments, can be done without an extender board and cables. In my understanding, those items are only necessary for serious troubleshooting, and working on circuit boards that are not part of the routine alignment and maintenance.

I don't have the extender board and cables, and I'm afraid that I don't know anyone who does, other than the Studer/Revox person who does my service work, Jack Clark, at JM Technical Arts, in Nashville, Tennessee. What are you trying to adjust on your C270?
Christopher Campbell

www.cbcampbell.com

Offline eugen_syd

• View Profile
Re: Adjustments in REVOX C270
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2010, 09:01:33 PM »
Hi Christopher,

Most of my machines are running 3-3/4 and 7-1/2 ips. I have lots and lots of recordings done in this speed through the years. I decided to convert my C270 from a 7-1/2 and 15ips to those speeds. Also from IEC equalization to NAB. Yes, I know I am swimming in the wrong direction but this machine stayed for 3 years unused as I do not have 2T recordings all mine are 4T so also I convert the heads to 4T (sent to John French for conversion). I believe at the end I will have a beautiful machine which I can use every day than a TAPE PROJECT machine which waits for me to purchase a TAPE PROJECT tape. Might be rolls royce but not practical to me. I still have some tape project machines.
However in the process of converting I notticed that some poeple worked on the CAPSTAN CONTROL board (blown trace, jumpers, etc) so I purchased a new one from IRINCO. Unfortunatly to get to the adjusting coils and pots of the capstan control board you have to drop the main board at 90DEG. Looks like I have to make some cables. Main board has 19 cables connected to it. I contacted Jack Clark but he replied that he has his own set which he manufactured.
So...I have to still look into this.
Thank you for your reply.
Best regards from down under,
Eugen