Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: What's so special about tape?  (Read 7472 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
What's so special about tape?
« on: June 07, 2007, 07:52:20 PM »
About 6 years ago, a customer and I got to talking about music/audio and he asked me if I would like to have an old Teac r2r deck he had. I hadn't owned one in a couple of decades so I went home with it that day. After checking it out, I went to a used record dealer who I knew kept r2r tapes upstairs from the main store. I bought an unopened London-Solti Mahler's 8th and a couple of others. After listening to it with my headphones directly off the deck, I thought it sounded pretty damn good.
Fast forward to the present.
I was just posting my preferences for future releases and was going to inject what characteristics I thought that tape does better than other media. All I could come up with was texture/transiet snap/retention of individual instruments in heavily modulated selections.
I was listening to a BC of Von Karajan blasting through Beethoven's 9th last night and although all the above was present in tiny amounts, I was really enjoying it more than I should have. I think I'm missing something that is adding to my enjoyment of these tapes (maybe I should tighten the lid on the head cleaner can). What do you guys think?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades