Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: What's so special about tape?  (Read 7433 times)

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
What's so special about tape?
« on: June 07, 2007, 07:52:20 PM »
About 6 years ago, a customer and I got to talking about music/audio and he asked me if I would like to have an old Teac r2r deck he had. I hadn't owned one in a couple of decades so I went home with it that day. After checking it out, I went to a used record dealer who I knew kept r2r tapes upstairs from the main store. I bought an unopened London-Solti Mahler's 8th and a couple of others. After listening to it with my headphones directly off the deck, I thought it sounded pretty damn good.
Fast forward to the present.
I was just posting my preferences for future releases and was going to inject what characteristics I thought that tape does better than other media. All I could come up with was texture/transiet snap/retention of individual instruments in heavily modulated selections.
I was listening to a BC of Von Karajan blasting through Beethoven's 9th last night and although all the above was present in tiny amounts, I was really enjoying it more than I should have. I think I'm missing something that is adding to my enjoyment of these tapes (maybe I should tighten the lid on the head cleaner can). What do you guys think?
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades