Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Noise Reduction repair?  (Read 5579 times)

Offline Stevebol

• View Profile
Noise Reduction repair?
« on: April 21, 2010, 03:34:46 PM »
Can anyone here repair an Advent 100A NR unit? I just recieved it and one channel is not working.

Offline Tim

• View Profile
Re: Noise Reduction repair?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 04:30:32 PM »
Any good repair shop can fix that. Check the "Service Resources" section for repair facilities.  You might try buying some contact cleaner spray (Radio Shack) and cleaning all switches, pots and plug-in boards/connectors.  Half the time, that will cure a dead channel.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 04:32:37 PM by Tim »
Tim Leinbaugh
Service Technician
with RTR specialty.

Offline Stevebol

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2010, 07:56:25 PM »
I gave it a good cleaning with contact cleaner but no go. I also checked the services resourses but didn't see anything about repairs on this kind of component.
I'll have to keep looking.
Thanks.

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2010, 08:35:19 PM »
Hey Steve,
What you're looking for is a repair guy that has some experience with circuits like this. You'd be lucky to find someone that has calibration tapes but really, since this should be nothing but discrete components, most competent techs should be able to get it working.
The big question is how much you're willing to pay to get it working right. You'd probably be better off finding another one that's already working. Most of these units sell for under $100 and that would cover a little over an hour of labor at most shops.
If you have a buddy that's into DIY audio, you might be able to get him/her to take a look.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline U47

• View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2010, 10:18:56 PM »
What has happened to the idea of a classified section on the Forum? I have an Advent 100A in NM condition with the walnut cabinet that I'd like to unload.

Rich Brown
Acoustic Arts
Portland, Oregon
Technics 1500 with King/Cello playback electronics, Stellavox SP-7, Technics 1500/Ampex MR70, Tascam BR-20 .

Offline Stevebol

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2010, 10:54:38 PM »
I'll send you an email U47.