Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: program on hold for a bit  (Read 6993 times)

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
program on hold for a bit
« on: June 08, 2007, 06:28:44 PM »
I just got one of my machines back from the Stereophile show. It had been shipped three times over the past five weeks in our custom crates, thus it was our shipping test mule. Several issues have cropped up that need to be addressed before I feel comfortable taking responsibility for customer machines by offering shipping crates. So it's gonna be a little bit longer before I'm ready to take machines in from clients for modification.

Bear with me, I really want to do this job right.
Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project

Offline beefman

• View Profile
Re: program on hold for a bit
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2007, 09:39:00 AM »
Nothing like real world usage to shake out all the things you never would've even considered as 'could happen'.... what issues cropped up?
Jeff Kane
Owner of many decks; in possession of few!

Offline docb

• Administrator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
    • View Profile
    • Bottlehead Corp.
Re: program on hold for a bit
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2007, 10:52:00 AM »
Hey Jeff,

The issues were not super serious. They are all related to vibration in shipping. Some of the prototype gear we built got some loose screws and I think a wire may have come loose in one. Not a big deal, and one that will be addressed in the production models. A more unfortunate occurence is that one of my 1500s had a honeycomb cardboard panel sitting against the face in spite of my asking the crater to put something soft on the face of the cardboard. The result is some paint has been rubbed off the front. Obviously this is completely unacceptable for client machines. The third issue was that our walnut racks were not quite snug enough in the crate and one of them experienced a little separation of the dovetails.

Most of this seems due to the crate needing a snug but resilient lining. I am going to try shipping a machine in a crate that has foam on top of the honeycomb. If that doesn't work out I will have to go for custom flight cases, which will be more expensive.

Dan "Doc B." Schmalle
President for Life, Bottlehead Corp.
Managing Director - retired, The Tape Project