TP-027, Jerry Garcia / David Grisman wins a Writer's Choice Award from Myles Astor of Positive Feedback Online

Author Topic: Possible replacement for 5532 opamp?  (Read 34304 times)

Offline microstrip

• View Profile
Re: Possible replacement for 5532 opamp?
« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2010, 05:38:59 PM »
Hi Ki,
You can find information about the AD8066 and SMD sockets here:
http://www.soundlabsgroup.com.au/p/IC-Module-AD8066/IC+Module+AD8066

You should be very cautious using this IC - it has a very wide bandwidth and circuit layout and power supply decoupling can be critical, otherwise you can turn your board in an high frequency oscillator! I doubt that these precautions were taken in the layout of old tape recorder pcbs. The LT1469 seems more "stable".

Some time ago I had to design and build a ultra low noise, low drift preamplifier for the measurements of in the pA zone for a photodiode and it needed a lot of additional decoupling capacitors in the power supply.
Regards
Francisco
Francisco

Offline traf

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2010, 03:55:27 AM »
Indeed, the AD8066 is wideband and may require the addition of a small cap (100p) in some cases. So far I have it on the preamp in the headblock and it works great, no tweaks needed. As the opamps are on sockets, it is easy to test the change and detect eventual oscillations.

Ki, there is a small forest of 47uF l'ytics (solid aluminium) on the signal path. If someone is qualified to calculate how low we can go there (10uf?) it will be a Major improvement to use film caps, at least WIMA or better (Siemens stacked polyester caps). Otherwise I use Nichicon NP with film bypass.

Andrew, the vocals sound amazing with the AD8066.

Tod

Offline Cyrano

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2010, 12:01:08 PM »
Oh yeh  145MHz 180v/uS this is wide and high.
And it is not internally compensated so all those caramic 150pF/47pF caps will stay (PR99 just input board) or will have to added on other boards. 
What is important is that it needs (datasheet) local PS decaupling and quite high 4u7 on each rail.  If you missed that It will make it sound more pronouced and snappier and thinner, this AD chip has a tad of BB house sound.  So that works for us in this case, but at the expense of distortions.

I went up to AD843 34MHz which likes ~2uF of decaupling and it makes substantial difference in distortions and percived fullness of sound just by ear. 
AD843 is internally compensated so half what studer lists in comp. pF loops is good to keep it stable, (never had any problems here) and extends bandwidth over 100kHz.  I settled on AD823/AD8610/AD843 mix across different boards.  That RC4559 is a w@#e to sub.

AD8620/8610 was in your hands?  It has a nerve and snap, quite close to RC but more refined.

Best
ANdrew

Offline crowner

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 03:15:15 PM »
I have used this opamp in a few projects. There were different versions from different manufacturers if I remember. The National Semiconductor NE5532-A was the special low noise version and spec'd out better then the Texas instrument piece. For what it's worth.

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2011, 08:08:29 PM »
Hi Crowner

Thanks for your info.
Is there a link for ap notes?
Ki Choi

Offline Waltzingbear

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2011, 02:51:11 AM »
That's way to much $ for a smd adapter. Look at the Brown Dog stuff, many varieties and attractive prices. Have used them for quite a few cases. http://cimarrontechnology.com/

The 5532 may be old but is still amazingly good, and very robust. The 5534 is better, but it is not unity gain stable.

For my money today, the LME series from National is a significant step forward in fidelity. There are things that have to be paid attention to in implementation, like it doesn't like very capacitive loads so may not be as useful in some applications. But it sounds great and is *very* quiet. It also has very low offset, allowing you to often change to the best cap ever, none. And they are unity gain stable.

Alan

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 18, 2011, 02:49:49 PM »
Hi Alan:

thanks for your expert comment on the 5532.  I've come to the same conclusion that 5532 might be old but it is probably "good enough" for the R2R repro applications, and there are other areas for possible bigger sonic improvements.

Did a quick search on Mouser and Digikey sites and couldn't locate the National Semiconductor LME series Opamps.  Can you tell us the source for the LME series Opamps?

Thanks,
Ki
Ki Choi

Offline Waltzingbear

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2011, 01:53:27 AM »
here is the link to the national semiconductor data pages, on there they have world wide stocking data, ie who's got what.  (under the order tab)

<http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LME49720.html#Overview>  this is the dual, comes in single and quad too, also a higher voltage version, LME4860 I think is the number.

Digikey has 1500 some odd and Arrow has 389, Arrow usually has better prices if you buy enough.

You can even get it in a TO99 can if you're willing to pay.

There is also a new TI/BurrBrown chip that is very good, but I don't know the number. 16something I think.

Alan

Offline Bblue9

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2012, 08:33:55 AM »
Has there been any updates to preferable updates to the NE5532?  The LME49720NA looks really good.  The LM4562 seems like pretty much the same thing but without auto-shutdown, and the OPA2604 is quite similar but with a lower GBW (20Mhz vs 55Mhz).

Anyone with recent experience with these or other possible contenders in an A810/A820?

--Bill

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2012, 12:12:02 PM »
Bill,

I've done a LOT of work/listening with the LME 49xxx chips and they are fantastic.  Can't tell the difference between most of them and the OP627's - and that is saying a lot

Charles

Offline Bblue9

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 05:06:25 AM »
Thanks Charles. 
Is additional compensation for stability necessary or are they pretty much plug 'n play?

--Bill

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 04:07:56 PM »
Bill,

There are maybe a dozen "new" chips - singles / duals / higher voltage (+/- 22V) versions and they come in different package styles.  Only a few like the LME49710 (single) come in a DIP package and I think will directly replace the 5534 (do get that mixed up with the 32 which I believe is the dual).  Some are available in an 8pin can which "purists" say is the best BUT is maybe 5 times more expensive.  Regarding stability, I believe they are unity gain stable but please check the spec sheet.  Have had to add a small compensating cap (200pf or so) between the output and inverting input on sopme designs but this may already be there if you are replacing op ampe in an existing circuit.  Should look at the output with a scope after any new amp changeout to see if it is oscillating / stable.

Douglas Self still LOVES the 5532/4 and his evidence in his new low noise circuit book is pretty convincing.  Also some great discussion of parts including capacitor selection.

Yea early Spring (here anyway) !!

Charles

Offline Bblue9

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2012, 08:02:29 AM »
Charles,  the LME49720NA is a dual inline package that will plug-in directly to the 5532 sockets in the Studer.  The SOIC version which you could use with a SOIC->dip adapter, if desired, is the LME48720MA.  There's even a TO-99 version, LME49720HA.

The app sheet has several circuit examples, including even, an NAB tape head preamp.

The 49720 has a little overshoot shown in a small-signal transient response graph, but no indication of large-signal transient response.  Bandwidth and phase response are excellent, though.  Looks like it might benefit with a little additional decoupling at the rails for each IC.

I do believe I'm going to try some of these.

--Bill

Offline stellavox

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 15, 2012, 08:14:30 AM »
Thanks Bill,

Good luck with your "play time", and be sure to look at the output with a scope.

To not tie up this thread with what others might consider minutiae, feel free to contact me - [email protected]

Charles

Forgot - a friend had problems with the tape pre circuit in the National app note
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 08:18:53 AM by stellavox »