Check out the new Tape Project website at tapeproject.com, now with online ordering. Inventory is updated every week, so stop by often to see what we have in stock.

Author Topic: Bread and Roses Music festival  (Read 7176 times)

Offline blaupunk

• View Profile
Bread and Roses Music festival
« on: May 01, 2010, 04:06:57 PM »
Well U.C. Berkeley trivia fans and residents anyone remember this charity?
Steve you wanted more Fantasy, but I bet you did not consider this title.
This was a music festival held in the 80's is my guess by the youthful appearances of the performers; and what a nice lineup, Hoyt Axton, Joan Baez, Joel Bernstein, Norton Buffalo, Chamber Brothers, Chick Corea, David Crosby, Mimi Farina, Freebo, John Hammond, Kris Kristofferson, Leah Kunkel, Maria Muldaur, Graham Nash, The Roches, Pete Seeger, and Paul Siebel.  All captured on a two disc set from Fantasy F-79011.

Consider this another suggestion from the Patron Saint of Lost Causes for excellent titles that will never be TP releases, but it is nice to dream about it.
Charles Vonderheid

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Bread and Roses Music festival
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 04:33:02 PM »
Boy, that title barely seeped through the fog for me. I kinda remember/don't remember it but it sure sounds great.
I'm a big fan of live recordings and considering that Doc and/or Paul might well have been there, I don't think it's such a pie in the sky suggestion.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 07:11:10 AM »
It has been sitting in my vinyl collection for years without a listen. I will have to dig it out and give it a spin.
Steve Williams

you don't want to know what equipment I listen to...

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 11:03:28 AM »
I dug it out and it is pretty nice, but there must be 2 issues of it. I have a 2 disc set, Fantasy F-79009 with some of the same performers mentioned but not all of them. The album release was in '79, performance in '77.
Not sure if it is quite up to TP standards in terms of recording or performance. Recording credit was given to The Record Plant.
I wonder what they would have had for a mobile truck in that era? How many tracks etc.? If my eyes do not deceive me, the album photographs show (for the most part) RE-20s(?) on stage with windscreens as the vocal mics, which would be a step up from the normal SM58s of the era. It looks like some sort of euro. small diaphragm condensers mostly for acoustic guitar pickup.
Some of the photographs show other mics. at times though.
What I don't like about most live recordings is not so much the SM58s vs studio mics, but the coloration due to the sound from the loud monitor mix leaking into all the performance mics. The house sound / room sound typically is a good thing lending live ambiance and delay with a judicious mix of room / audience mics.
Steve Williams

Offline blaupunk

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 04:13:07 PM »
Steveidosound,
If we both have two disc sets, but your version has fewer performers noted, the set/play list would be different yes?
Care/dare to compare off line?
Drop me a line if you care to invest a few more minutes.
Charles Vonderheid

Offline steveidosound

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2010, 01:05:55 AM »
Steveidosound,
If we both have two disc sets, but your version has fewer performers noted, the set/play list would be different yes?
Care/dare to compare off line?
Drop me a line if you care to invest a few more minutes.

I looked on eBay and there are 2 sets with 2 catalog numbers as I said. F-79009 and F-79011.
Yours is the newer one, evidently taken from a later year of the festival. The one I have has a brown cover and was taken from the first festival.
Some of the performers are the same.

yours -
http://cgi.ebay.com/Bread-And-Roses-Festival-Acoustic-Music-1980-2-LP-/370152337417?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item562ecc7009

mine -
http://cgi.ebay.com/BREAD-AND-ROSES-2-LP-SET-UC-BERKELEY-PETE-SEEGER-ARLO-/310214807833?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Music_on_Vinyl&hash=item483a3e5119
Steve Williams