Can you believe it? Tape Project is ten years old! Thanks to everyone who has supported us in introducing studio quality tape reproduction to the audiophile community!

Author Topic: Quantegy 478 for music recording!  (Read 14411 times)

Offline Santi

• View Profile
    • blog
Quantegy 478 for music recording!
« on: May 03, 2010, 12:52:40 AM »
Hi !

i was thinking in buying a box of 478 audio tapes. I need to know if these tapes are ok for recording music!! any sugestion??

Thanks !
Santiago Gonz?lez

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • leader in spreading disinformation
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
Re: Quantegy 478 for music recording!
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 02:42:17 AM »
Hi Santi,

Although I have no first hand knowledge of 478 specifically, I'd be wary of any of the later production tapes from Ampex/Quantegy.
The reason I say this was Paul Stubblebine's statement a while back where he said that he didn't believe that Quantegy ever solved their sticky shed problems and he was having this problem even just a few months after use.
As I've stated in several posts, you may be able to get these old tapes for a bargain but it's not worth it if some or all of them are unusable or unplayable later on. It's much better to use some of the current production tape if you can.
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Santi

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 03:04:08 PM »
Hi !!! thank you so much for the advice...

wich current tape do you recommend me?

Santi!
Santiago Gonz?lez

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2010, 06:19:50 PM »
Hey Santi,

The Tape Project is using RMGI 468 which has a long track record for being an excellent tape.
If you're doing live recording and wish to get the very best, the new ATR Magnetics tape is currently very popular with recording studios.
But, for doing most recording such as lp's and the occasional live recording, you're probably going to be fine with 468.
Sometimes it's hard to find the 468 in which case you could use RMGI 911.
No matter which tape you decide to use, you should have your machine biased for that particular tape or you won't be getting the maximum benefits from it. The 468/911 will be closer to machines that are already biased for something like Ampex 456. Not many machines will have a setting which will come as close to the ATR settings.

You can check them out at US Recording Media but I'm not sure if they stock 468 anymore.

http://usrecordingmedia-store.stores.yahoo.net/
steve koto
 Sony scd 777es(R. Kern mods)> Vpi Aires>Dynavector XX-2mkll>Bent mu>CAT ultimate>CJ premeir 140>Magnepan 1.6qr(Jensen xover)Headphone Eddie Current Zana Deux>AT ad2000,HD800 ,Metric Halo ULN-2 (battery powered),
 HE Audio Jades

Offline Santi

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 07:25:29 AM »
Hi!!!

thank you so much for the info... i am thinking in buying these ones...

http://usrecordingmedia-store.stores.yahoo.net/rmsm1x60on5r.html

so...you are using these and works fine right?

Santiago Gonz?lez

Offline jeri

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 10:53:00 AM »
Encore Data Products also carries RMGI 468.

http://www.encoredataproducts.com/RMGI-Studio-Master-468-p-1-c-316.html

They stock it in 600 LF 5" plastic reels (the same as US Recording) and also stock it in larger 1200 LF 7" plastic reels and 2500 LF plastic reels, metal reels, and pancakes.  Also wider tape widths, if you need that.  Good prices and free shipping, too.  I have ordered cases of SM 911 from them several times and have been very happy with their service.  Jeff was the guy I talked with.  Full disclosure -- I am not associated with them in any way other than as a happy customer.

Possibly a good alternative supplier?

Jeri
Jeri

Offline Ki Choi

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 12:13:36 PM »
Hi Jeri:

Thanks for the info.  I see they have other RMGI tapes as well.  Do they stock all the tapes listed on their online store?
Having free shipping is also nice.

Ki
Ki Choi

Offline ironbut

• Global Moderator
  • rs1500>repro amp#1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 12:19:23 PM »
Excellent, thanks.
steve koto
 HE Audio Jades

Offline jeri

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 02:29:18 PM »
Hi Ki,

I checked with Jeff at Encore Data Products, and he tells me a few of the SM900's are stocked on the premises (2" and 1/2", I think).  All the rest are shipped directly from RMGI's warehouse in Indiana.  This is probably a good thing for tape with lower turnover, so that the tape shipped is as fresh as possible.  Everything listed on their website is available.  My experience with them has been that if something is backordered, it is shown as "out of stock" on the website.

Jeri
Jeri

Offline Santi

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:08:55 PM »
Hi Guys, first of all thanks for all these great info!! =)

i have the final doubt !!!

So, i read a lot and finally i am between:
Sm468 RMGI (or the ebay link) and ATR 1/4 for using to record music in my nagra IV-S !!!

Help me to decide !!!! Wich is the best option !! ??? i want the retro sound compression and the known noisy sound of the tape !! thats why i dont know if ATR is the best option

what about this ones?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Emtec-SM-468-tapes-x-10-NEW-1-4-analogue-tape-NAGRA-/260297593281?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_Consumer_VintageAudio_RL&hash=item3c9af211c1

in this link how many tapes does it brings?? i want to sent 300 US aprox
http://www.encoredataproducts.com/RMGI-35110-SM468-Analog-1-4-x-600-Nagra-Tape-Reel-Hinged-Box-Carton-of-20-p-1091.html

i want the best tape... the machine is going to be calibrated for the tape i buy, of course...
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 10:44:05 PM by santi gonzalez »
Santiago Gonz?lez

Offline Santi

• View Profile
    • blog
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 02:22:31 AM »
Well guys, finally i bought new Tapes from Quantegy!! 478 from 2008...

The Master Dan Dugan (http://www.dandugan.com/) said to me that these tapes was great and my nagra is calibrated for 478 right now... between these tapes and 468 the diffrence its almost null...

so later i will tell you how the tapes work !!! :O

Bye and thanks for caring !!

Santiago Gonz?lez